diy solar

diy solar

Sol Ark and EG4 competition?

Indeed. I told them they need to match or exceed the competition. Interesting to see how well they do.
All I would want to see available is a reliable lower output version of these AIOs that doesn’t cost 5k+.. I would think most using solar aren‘t using as much power as regular non solar homes use..

Doesn’t the HoyMiles LV (48V) fit the bill? Ncsolarelectric estimated today $2500 for the inverter. Not sure what the battery premium will be or what comms it supports. For Solis S6 the cheapest UL9540 battery stack is $4700 for 7kWh.

Closest is prob solark 5k for $3k.
but it’s only single phase 120v or 240v but not splitphase. Which would be fine if it could utilize two CTs when supplying 240v so it could see and cover all of a USA homes main panel loads.

but it’s only single phase 120v or 240v but not splitphase. Which would be fine if it could utilize two CTs when supplying 240v so it could see and cover all of a USA homes main panel loads.
I don’t think it can be configured as 240 in the US, I believe that’s an option if you buy the LATAM version

I’ve considered using CT tricks to let it see both phases, combined with an autotransformer and some relays to switch in/out neutral etc to step up the voltage while forming neutral/breaking neutral at the right time. By the time you’re done, might as well go up to the 8K and delete the complexity, and save the brain cells for making money in a real engineering job

I don’t think it can be configured as 240 in the US, I believe that’s an option if you buy the LATAM version
From what I read it will supply 240v or 120v depending on what voltage is wired to it. I didn’t know there was a different single phase version.
I’ve considered using CT tricks to let it see both phases, combined with an autotransformer and some relays to switch in/out neutral etc to step up the voltage while forming neutral/breaking neutral at the right time. By the time you’re done, might as well go up to the 8K and delete the complexity, and save the brain cells for making money in a real engineering job
I also though about the Ct trick with the single phase SolArk. That’s what I currently do with my GTIL2s. But came to the same conclusion you did. Instead I would just spend a little more to get the 8k to save the headache/effort. But honestly that’s all I would need is an AIO inverter with like 5k output. That would cover all my loads 99% of the time. Then I would just have a few very essential loads wired to an offgrid panel for the extremely rare power outages.

Last edited:
From what I read it will supply 240v or 120v depending on what voltage is wired to it. I didn’t know there was a different single phase version.
The CEC listing for it in california has an entry for both voltages, it’s not clear whether it’s the same device or a different one.

I bet it’s the same hardware, with maybe firmware differences. Based on the pamphlets, IIRC the feature list advertised for it in LATAM is different than NA

Back