diy solar

diy solar

Solar dump to ground

KolinCancer

Hows it going. Im off grid and dont have a desire to have to monitor the charge of my batteries which would be required to setup a load dump. Im wondering if there is a way to dump excess solar energy to a grounding rod instead of the grid once my batteries are topped off

Im wondering if there is a way to dump excess solar energy to a grounding rod instead of the grid once my batteries are topped off
It is easier to just let the charge controller do it's thing and not pull energy from the panels when the batteries are charged. Many inverters have a setting for zero export.

Hows it going. Im off grid and dont have a desire to have to monitor the charge of my batteries which would be required to setup a load dump. Im wondering if there is a way to dump excess solar energy to a grounding rod instead of the grid once my batteries are topped off
No
That's not a possibility.
That's not how electricity works.

As stated above, just don't use the excess.

It is easier to just let the charge controller do it's thing and not pull energy from the panels when the batteries are charged. Many inverters have a setting for zero export.
I wish mine just stopped charging hence my question. But itll just over charge my batteries. Avoid powmr

No
That's not a possibility.
That's not how electricity works.

As stated above, just don't use the excess.
If thats not how electricity works then why do we use grounding rods if not for their ability to dump excess power in an emergency. Clearly the ground can be used as a dump however the only way i invision it would b to have a device that read the voltage of my batteries and upon reaching a certain voltage it began discharging to the ground.

What solar charge controller do you have (part number)? It seems this controller is lacking its primary function of “controlling” the charging of the batteries.

How do you verify this charge controller is over charging your batteries?

What battery system do you have?

If thats not how electricity works then why do we use grounding rods if not for their ability to dump excess power in an emergency. Clearly the ground can be used as a dump however the only way i invision it would b to have a device that read the voltage of my batteries and upon reaching a certain voltage it began discharging to the ground.
Ground rods serve two purposes.
They make the earth safe, relative to the electrical system.
And they dissipate atmospheric (static) charge.
No "dump".
Electricity only flows if there's a return path to the source.
Generated electricity flows in a circular (circuit) path. From the source and returning to the source.

What solar charge controller do you have (part number)? It seems this controller is lacking its primary function of “controlling” the charging of the batteries.

How do you verify this charge controller is over charging your batteries?

What battery system do you have?
I have a powmr 10kw sunsmart. Working on upgrading to the solark. I spoke to powmr and they told me that in order to prevent the batteries from overcharging id have to turn off solar. Avoid powmr

This really sounds like:

1) you don't have a basic understanding of how residential electricity works (see Tim's explanation) thinking a ground rod can act as a dump load.
2) you aren't asking PowMr the correct question.
3) you aren't interpreting their answers correctly.

Setting 34 to dis should disable any grid feedback.

Settings 9, 10 and 11 dictate the charge voltages, but other settings matter too.

If your batteries are somehow overcharging:
1) it is configured incorrectly.
2) it has failed.

Can you be more specific about what's going on?

I have a powmr 10kw sunsmart. Working on upgrading to the solark. I spoke to powmr and they told me that in order to prevent the batteries from overcharging id have to turn off solar. Avoid powmr
Completely false.
Screenshot_20240515-211153__01.jpg
Are you using open loop or closed loop communications?
Your powmr is a relabeled SRNE ASF.
See here for open loop settings. Adjust charge amperage to optimal for your pack size.

Looks like any other AIO from a programming standpoint, all you need to do is set the high voltage charging parameter

Again how are you determining that your battles are getting over charged?

Is voltages hitting 58v or something?

Go into the settings and set dump-to-ground-rod to true. The electricity will spill out into the ground rod just make sure it's deep cause otherwise it'll make the ground kinda static prone for a while. Obviously make sure you're not touching the ground rod or kinking the wire when you do it

The sarcasm is strong in this one.

Go into the settings and set dump-to-ground-rod to true. The electricity will spill out into the ground rod just make sure it's deep cause otherwise it'll make the ground kinda static prone for a while. Obviously make sure you're not touching the ground rod or kinking the wire when you do it
We also have goats so maybe just diveret it to their electric fence.

The ba
Looks like any other AIO from a programming standpoint, all you need to do is set the high voltage charging parameter

Again how are you determining that your battles are getting over charged?

Is voltages hitting 58v or something
The batteries shut off and i get a battery over voltage alarm. I had the batteries connected via bms and they over charged. I had the settings w no bms set to the battery specs and they over charged

The ba

The batteries shut off and i get a battery over voltage alarm. I had the batteries connected via bms and they over charged. I had the settings w no bms set to the battery specs and they over charged

Not an inverter/charger issue. You have imbalanced LFP batteries EXTREMELY common. You'd have the same issue with a Sol-Ark.

Stick with no BMS and set them to 55.2V bulk, 4 hour bulk, 54.4V float. Should eliminate or greatly reduce your over-voltage issues.

Last edited:
If you use Geothermal Heating, you can dig-up your garden e.g. 4-5m deep and at least 100m2 put a HDPE Pipe into which has a circulation pump and and In-Flow Heater and then back fill it 2,5-3m put another HDPE pipe in which you use to take out the Energy Insulate the top, put a drainage membrane on it and fill back the soil.

Enjoy the excess heat.

I am ongoing to do this with 11kWp LONGI modules, a Fronus Symo 10kW, Fronus OhmPilot and a 9kW In-Flow Heater to get over the Estonian Winter, to be more precise from November to January)

Back