diy solar

diy solar

Solar help please

Got 1600w solar panels running 12v system want sort battery bank I need thanks to store power
Ye got all that just need to no how many battery's need to store power

- What the inclination and orientation of your solar panels?
- What would be your electrical power consumption while charging the battery at the same time?

The following is just an approximation to give a idea on the amount of solar energy you could expect to store:

I suppose you have 4 solar panels producing 400 W each?​
The ideal amount of energy on June solstice day with your panels tracking the sun azimuth and elevation,​
could be something like (8 hours) x (1600 W) x (90% solar inverter efficiency) = about 12 kWh​
But honestly, depending of your solar panel inclination and orientation your could only consider getting​
about 6 to 8 kWh on a sunny day, and in winter only about 2 to 3 kWh a day.​
If you are off grid, you should also deduct the electrical consumption you have at the same time.​
Let see for example that you have like 100 W (some lighting and a laptop) so during the 8 hours​
of sun light, you will use (100 W) x (8 h) x (85% efficiency of the DC/AC inverter) = about 1 kWh.​
So finally, after deducting you electrical consumption during sun light, using the example above,​
you could may be store about 7 kWh a day on sunny days and about 2 kWh in winter.​
From that, regarding the batteries needed, you could find some 12 V 100 Ah Lithium-Ion batteries,​
or 1,200 kWh, with 80% available capacity available would be 1 kWh for each battery.​
So well to start, I would typically add 4 batteries to such solar system, just to test the water.​
Cetainly not the best answer for your request, but I hope that this rough estimate could help you.

Last edited:
Ye got all that just need to no how many battery's need to store power
You can't store power (Watts), you can only store energy (Watt-hours or kWh).

To work out how many batteries you need, you will need to calculate how much energy you need to store to use as power later. That will be measured in kWh.

From knowing that, you can then calculate the capacity of the batteries you need. Capacity is measure in Amp-hours, with a direct mapping from Watt-hours as we know it is a 12V system.

So, for example, if you need to power (say) a fridge for 12 hours, which takes 30W of power, you will need to store 12 x 30 = 360 Watt-hours of energy.

With a 12V system, that would equate 30Ah. But you will need to assume for LFP batteries, you can only retrieve 80 to 90% of that, and there will be losses in the inverter, so in that example a 50Ah battery pack would be ideal.

From that, regarding the batteries needed, you could find some 12 V 100 Ah Lithium-Ion batteries,or 1,200 kWh,
Wish I could find some 100Ah batteries that held 1200 kWh ;) Guess you meant 1200Wh.

You're also going to need about 160a of charge controller to utilize that much solar on 12v. Either a pair of 80a or 4 40a or whatever. How many of what size panels are you putting up?

As for capacity, napkin math says 1600w × 4 good hours of sun = 6400wh of generation a day ÷ 12v = 533ah of battery you could charge in a day...

Roughly

Back