diy solar

diy solar

Solis and battery newbie question

Broadlands

Hello

I have a 10.5kw system (don't know if that's relevant), a Solis inverter and three batteries.

I've just joined Octopus Agile so I would like the batteries to hold their charge throughout the day (when it's cheap electricity) so I can use them between peak hours (4-7). I'd also like to charge the batteries during cheap times (I'm not bothered about exporting during peak times).

Please can I have an idiots guide of how to do this from the website rather than from the unit itself? Sharon

All here

As for doing it from the website I would advise against relying on that, Solis could go bust and the server go down so best to know how to use the unit itself to change the settings.

Last edited:
All here

As for doing it from the website I would advise against relying on that, Solis could go bust and the server go down so best to know how to use the unit itself to change the settings.
Thanks. I've looked at that link and it's very confusing. I've found out how to access the settings on the app but want to make sure I've find it properly so I understand what I need to change. Does this look right to you?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-23-12-20-59-31_fffb7a36b95fd26011ab6c25a1351116.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-23-12-20-59-31_fffb7a36b95fd26011ab6c25a1351116.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 6
Your Time of Use discharge current is set to 0A so during your discharge time 16 to 19 there will be no discharge. Change and test.

I don't have a Solis and as their instructions and app settings are in Chinglish, what it reads as to a native English speaker may not be what Solis thinks it means. Hence you need to use the link as its been written in English by an English speaker but he is in IT so that has its issues too.

So identify what you have problems with the instructions and maybe it can be translated from IT speak to normal.

That looks wrong.

The way you've got that set up you will be charging your battery from the grid from 11:00 to 14:30 and from 15:00 to 15:30 every day. Then from 16:00 to 19:00 you won't be using your battery at all.

Set the charge times to the cheap times when you want to charge from grid (02:00 to 05:00).

Set a discharge time with 0A for the times you don't want your batteries to be used at all.

Don't set any charge or discharge for the times you want to use the batteries (16:00 to 19:00).

I've looked at Flux, but am sticking with Agile for import as we do get some great prices. It's been 0p/kWh for much of today, with a couple of slots below 0p. My usage for today comes out at -3.2p total. :)

T
That looks wrong.

The way you've got that set up you will be charging your battery from the grid from 11:00 to 14:30 and from 15:00 to 15:30 every day. Then from 16:00 to 19:00 you won't be using your battery at all.

Set the charge times to the cheap times when you want to charge from grid (02:00 to 05:00).

Set a discharge time with 0A for the times you don't want your batteries to be used at all.

Don't set any charge or discharge for the times you want to use the batteries (16:00 to 19:00).

I've looked at Flux, but am sticking with Agile for import as we do get some great prices. It's been 0p/kWh for much of today, with a couple of slots below 0p. My usage for today comes out at -3.2p total.

That looks wrong.

I've looked at Flux, but am sticking with Agile for import as we do get some great prices. It's been 0p/kWh for much of today, with a couple of slots below 0p. My usage for today comes out at -3.2p total. :)
Thank you, the charging slot times are for today's agile pricing 😉. My export is 15p (octopus outgoing) and just moved to agile from tracker. I've deleted the discharge times as I think that's what confused me. Hopefully it's all sorted now!

One more quick question, how can I get a summary of my usage? Is it an automaton or an app?

Thanks for your help, this has been driving me mad all day! Sharon

Thank you, the charging slot times are for today's agile pricing 😉. My export is 15p (octopus outgoing) and just moved to agile from tracker. I've deleted the discharge times as I think that's what confused me. Hopefully it's all sorted now!
I should have realised about the Agile time slot. :fp
One more quick question, how can I get a summary of my usage? Is it an automaton or an app?
For my inverter I used to use the Solis Cloud web site, or the Solis App, but now I use a custom monitoring program that I wrote.

For grid usage I use the Octopus App, which shows real time figures as I have an Octopus Home Mini to send in live meter readings. One thing with the Octopus App is that the estimated charges for the current day are wrong. They use figures for the wrong half hour which can make quite a difference. The App is showing a 20.72p charge for today, but I calculate it as -3.2p!

Back