diy solar

diy solar

Standalone arc-fault solution: Outback Flexware ICS Plus DC combiner box with RSD

x98myers7

Solar Enthusiast
okay... so in the world of residential install, we all know the AFCI and RSD requirements. This is potentially the first off-grid string inverter compatible and UL listed solution. Does anyone know anything about it?

from Alte - "The OutBack Power FLEXware ICS Plus DC Combiner Box with PV Rapid Shutdown, AFCI, and disconnect is compatible with up to 6 PV Strings. It opens up controlled conductors within 10 feet of the PV array."

are panel-level modules required? how is RSD achieved?

Packages Available:
NOTE: All packages include (1) RSI, (1) BKR-CTRL-DC, (1) RTB device, and (1) or more FWPV6-FH600-SDA combiner boxes.
All packages are equipped with rapid shutdown, external disconnect, and PV AFCI functions.
ICSPLUS-1: Compatible with up to 6 strings of PV (one charge controller); includes (1) FWPV6-FH600-S
ICSPLUS-2: Compatible with up to 12 strings of PV (two charge controllers); includes (2) FWPV6-FH600-S
ICSPLUS-4: Compatible with up to 24 strings of PV (four charge controllers); includes (4) FWPV6-FH600-SDA

documentation

I'd assume AFCI is addressed through the "RTB" breaker installed in the load center panel, which effectively cuts off the DC load. however, my understanding is that without panel level modules installed, there's no way to guarantee <80v in 10secs.

any ideas? basically, i'm wondering if this is truly standalone or do i need supporting modules on each panel for RSD.

I think the reality is, when it comes to arc-fault and ground-fault compliance, it's better to simply install a charge controller that handles both, like Midnite classic series.

Back