diy solar

diy solar

Sunergy I

KykCat

I'm bringing this over from the old forum. This is the 1st Sunergy project. As I put together the information I'll being posting information about Sunergy II, and the boats I'm currently working on making emission free.

Sunergy I
My first foray in making a fully solar powered boat. In 2014 Scott Mansker, the creator and organizer of the M340 (Missouri River 340 mile paddling race) opened it up to include a Solar Boat category. Four of us responded and two of us participated. The links below will show some videos and photos. There is also a pdf follow up report I wrote which will show more specific information regarding the solar/battery setup and evaluation.

mail
e340

DSCF0490.JPG

DSCF0489.JPG

Well, this forum has different ways to do things. Found out that Google Drive links don't work. Also could not edit initial post.

Anyhow here is the file with the report on the performance of the boat. BTW, this boat setup was a one time configuration just for this event.

Attachments

• e340 report r2.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
It seems that this forum is less capable than the previous forum. I'm unable to insert or attach videos and pdf files.

If you would like more information on the performance of this rig - contact me directly at KykCat@aol.com with subject "Sunergy"

Oh that is not true at all. This server is MUCH more capable. And I see your pdf file that is attached. I blocked posting videos because I have no idea how large they can be. We can still post videos (and anything we want, of any size), but I do not want to swamp the server.

I will increase the attachment limit. I was scared to do so earlier because I was still setting it all up, but I will increase it now

And you are allowed to edit your post for the first 20 minutes. Same time limit as the last forum when I set it up. Many of the settings are identical or increased compared to the last forum. I can change anything, so let me know what you want on this forum. I will make it happen

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Nice to know about the time limit for edits. Life happened while I was editing. When I got back to it enough time had expired and the editing option had disappeared. Thanks for the forum and all the sharing on youtube.

I'm bringing this over from the old forum. This is the 1st Sunergy project. As I put together the information I'll being posting information about Sunergy II, and the boats I'm currently working on making emission free.

Sunergy I
My first foray in making a fully solar powered boat. In 2014 Scott Mansker, the creator and organizer of the M340 (Missouri River 340 mile paddling race) opened it up to include a Solar Boat category. Four of us responded and two of us participated. The links below will show some videos and photos. There is also a pdf follow up report I wrote which will show more specific information regarding the solar/battery setup and evaluation.

mail
e340

View attachment 85

View attachment 86
Hey folks, my trimarran is an electric powered sailboat with a 10kw motor and a 16S 48v 400amp lifepro4 battery bank. Its got six 100w solar panels. I have zero experience and i would like to know,
"What kind of run time can i get off of this setup just using the batteries as propulsion?"
I know it will charge when sailing due to the 3 blade 16" prop and 2 kw a day average from the solar panels.
But like I said, i am new to sailing and its my 1st boat.
I guess the question is...
What kind of run time can i get from the battery bank? I want to get a large charger and generator so i can charge overnight so i can troll the San Francisco Bay for fishing.

Attachments

• 20190919_191113.jpg
    20190919_191113.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 4
OT but if you have vids, stick them on youtube and link to them. Much better idea as then you can ride on google's content caches around the world rather than running up the traffic meter on this forum.

Those panels look like they will flap up and down a bit and flog themselves to pieces. There is a guy in japan making solar cells on that woven blue tarp material atm .
Hope they last longer flapping in the wind than the tarps do.

Back