diy solar

diy solar

Thinking about wind?

why do not we start with wind maps? I have been certainly been called out for misusing them one time in an ancient past.

But if at least some of us can show us how to read wind speed maps then maybe, just maybe I get to go to sleep ;)

;) chill out boys ;) I am still on a mission ;)

I have never seen any of those poles buckle under stress yet./ Even though sometimes mounted with large wind catching stuff on it.

So I does seem like a good way to secure something to the ground.

I for one can't find similar poles so I will make do with what I can find. Might have more deflection and/or a shorter life span but lets see.
I got some more information on the pole, it is 12 meters (40-feet) and it is 400mm dia at base (16-inches) and 100mm at top (4") and is 13mm wall thickness (1/2" thick) solid steel - so yeah pretty heavy. Appears to be 1970's vintage. There are actually two pole, but one got bent during take down process. We will see if we can make arrangements to pick it up, and get some pictures of said pole. (not on the roof of my truck either!) lol.

Sounds like a job for a semi with 40' flat bed. Or 30' and a flag on the end.
Lift on with straps or chains and secure properly.

Steel, shouldn't be as prone to fatigue cracking as aluminum.

If one of these 1/2" wall pipes got bent taking it down, what did the OTHER guy look like?

Sounds like a job for a semi with 40' flat bed. Or 30' and a flag on the end.
Lift on with straps or chains and secure properly.

Steel, shouldn't be as prone to fatigue cracking as aluminum.

If one of these 1/2" wall pipes got bent taking it down, what did the OTHER guy look like?
yeah, the bent one was first one taken down, and I think the crew were not expecting it to be so heavy, landed pretty hard I hear. LOL.
I've asked if I can just take both away while we are at it. At least with the steel, should be able to heat up the kinked spot with torch and bend it back into +/- straight.

Bolt a trailer coupler on the front. And an axle on the back. String some lights, and tow it home.
8" diameter at the bottom, 4" at the top. I was concerned that it may not take the stress of that without bending, all we have are potholes for roads.
Would be towing with my minivan, so roof height about 4.5 ft for clearance if I make a bracket for it. At that angle rear tow wheels would have to be close to one end (8" end I imagine). Flat tow means the entire 30ft would be largely unsupported.
Been thinking about this for quite awhile, we have a full size glass delivery van at work with roof racks, van is 20 ft long, if I put it on the roof racks it would only stick out 5ft front and rear, but would be tractor trailer windscreen height, so a pace car would be needed at the rear.

I have no concern about it bearing its own weight even if supported only at the two ends. Steel is tough stuff, and this isn't a 40' piece of re-bar.

6" average diameter, 19" average circumference, 0.5" thick 40' long. 4524 cubic inches steel at 0.5 lbs./in^3
2262 lbs.

Not as bad as I was thinking. Within the cargo limit of my k2500.
Towed 5th wheel style with 25% of weight in bed, 600 lbs.
On a hitch with 10%, 226 lbs. tongue load.

Strap it to a car trailer, and put a hitch on the skinny end?

But a flat bed truck or semi is the reasonable and safe way to transport. Or a low boy. Carry both at once.
Guys who deliver construction equipment sometimes sit around for the day while job is going on. They could make a run with their Cozad low-boy to deliver it.

Seriously, that extendible is a great idea, I may build something like that into my next trailer.

Yeah, I got told today they decided to keep both poles.
Crap.
I should have just gone and got them on the day it was offered, instead of waiting.
I hesitated to wait for a pole trailer I could borrow, but that gave them time to reconsider.
Oh well, maybe next time I will just cut them in half, load them on my 20-foot deck trailer, and weld them back together after I get them home!

Last edited:
Been thinking about this for quite awhile, we have a full size glass delivery van at work with roof racks, van is 20 ft long, if I put it on the roof racks it would only stick out 5ft front and rear, but would be tractor trailer windscreen height, so a pace car would be needed at the rear.
Aluminum - so easier to load and off load than steel I was worried about.
I came up empty-handed at my end HogHeavenFarm, so up to you to get your pole home and put something up there we can all watch the build and see how it does in your wind/PV conditioins.

Back