diy solar

diy solar

[UK] BMW i3 Battery 120ah 42KWH Battery Pack For Sale

ELECTRONAUT_ev

EA1C52E4-3B07-4E90-9E9E-259BF52C6352.jpeg

2019 BMW i3 120ah 42Kwh Battery Pack for sale.

Ideal for home storage, can be rewired to 48 volts to work with most solar systems. Pack contains 8 5kwh modules so can be split up for multiple projects or can be used for a single large energy storage project.

There are guides out there for using these exact packs for home storage, but I myself only have a basic knowledge of home storage. This pack has been taken straight from the vehicle and so is wired in series ano so has a nominal 360v. The vehicle was driving before being dismantled so guaranteed good battery. Pack has never been opened up and so with all original connectors, fuses and safety box etc.

Located in Grantham, UK.

Price £7250. Collection only.

View attachment 111246

2019 BMW i3 120ah 42Kwh Battery Pack for sale.

Ideal for home storage, can be rewired to 48 volts to work with most solar systems. Pack contains 8 5kwh modules so can be split up for multiple projects or can be used for a single large energy storage project.

There are guides out there for using these exact packs for home storage, but I myself only have a basic knowledge of home storage. This pack has been taken straight from the vehicle and so is wired in series ano so has a nominal 360v. The vehicle was driving before being dismantled so guaranteed good battery. Pack has never been opened up and so with all original connectors, fuses and safety box etc.

Located in Grantham, UK.

Price £7250. Collection only.
rather steeply priced there

Price is about double what anyone comparing to normal off grid solar storage options would expect to pay for brand new cells. Then you have the hassle of dealing with a non standard format and the fact it’s a secondhand battery of unknown condition.

In other words, no chance.

Add in the fact that when configured for nominal 48V usage you will have less that 6kWh of storage, not really a bargain.

Add in the fact that when configured for nominal 48V usage you will have less that 6kWh of storage, not really a bargain.
That is not true, this pack contains 8 48v 5.2kwh modules. You would still be able to get the total 42kwh capacity out of this pack.

Price is about double what anyone comparing to normal off grid solar storage options would expect to pay for brand new cells. Then you have the hassle of dealing with a non standard format and the fact it’s a secondhand battery of unknown condition.

In other words, no chance.
Maybe in comparison to lead acid batteries but that is not really comparing oranges against oranges. These are high quality Samsung nmc cells not Chinese junk, and at ~£170 per kWh not twice the price of anything worth comparing. These cells will actually perform to specs, can be fully charged / discharged and have been used to good success in the energy storage sector.

Maybe in comparison to lead acid batteries but that is not really comparing oranges against oranges. These are high quality Samsung nmc cells not Chinese junk, and at ~£170 per kWh not twice the price of anything worth comparing. These cells will actually perform to specs, can be fully charged / discharged and have been used to good success in the energy storage sector.
I did not have lead acid batteries in mind, of course not. You’re maybe not up to date with what LiFePO4 prismatics cost, as anyone choosing a secondhand EV battery pack in preference to new LFP prismatics at half the price needs their head looking at.

Nevertheless you’re selling something and get to ask as much as you like for it. I‘ll leave you in peace.

That is not true, this pack contains 8 48v 5.2kwh modules. You would still be able to get the total 42kwh capacity out of this pack.
They are not 48V modules, they're 44V modules made of 12S nmc cells @ 3.7V max each, capacity of 10Ah each when new wired in series, usable capacity is only 90% of stated and is a hard limit imposed by the BMW protection unit at cell level. You'd have to strip each module down, re-jig to 13/14S, find a suitable 13/14S BMS for NMC, remove the per cell level protection unit, figure out how to repackage a soft shelled alloy case cell for safety.

Its very doable, but at £906 per module, plus the faffing about, NMC safety issues for in house use, BMS etc, its a stretch at asking £7k.
You can buy brand new 7200Wh LFP 150Ah cells plus a BMS for around £1000 landed in the UK

Back