diy solar

diy solar

UL Certified batteries?

Dzl

Unofficial Forum Librarian & Perpetual Newbie
Staff member
I can't remember where I read it, but I thought I read something about a UL certification for lithium cells relevant for marine use, does anyone have any info on this?

I posted this a month ago on another forum when a comment was made that their batteries were one of two that had UL ratings.

Here are just samples...:unsure:

Trojan Trillium- UL1642 (cells)
Elite GBS - UL1642 & UL1973
Battleborn - UL2054
Victron - couldn't find
Relion - UL1642
Lion Energy - couldn't find

UL1973
Standard for Batteries for Use in Stationary, Vehicle Auxiliary Power and Light Electric Rail (LER) Applications

UL1642
Standard for Lithium Batteries

UL2054
Standard for Household and Commercial Batteries

Some have these listed also...

UN38.3
Title: UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, 4th Revised Edition, Lithium Battery Testing Requirements

IEC 62133 is “Secondary cells and batteries containing alkaline or other non-acid electrolytes – Safety requirements for portable sealed secondary cells, and for batteries made from them, for use in portable applications”.

Reactions: Dzl
I posted this a month ago on another forum when a comment was made that their batteries were one of two that had UL ratings.

Here are just samples...:unsure:

Trojan Trillium- UL1642 (cells)
Elite GBS - UL1642 & UL1973
Battleborn - UL2054
Victron - couldn't find
Relion - UL1642
Lion Energy - couldn't find

UL1973
Standard for Batteries for Use in Stationary, Vehicle Auxiliary Power and Light Electric Rail (LER) Applications

UL1642
Standard for Lithium Batteries

UL2054
Standard for Household and Commercial Batteries

Some have these listed also...

UN38.3
Title: UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, 4th Revised Edition, Lithium Battery Testing Requirements

IEC 62133 is “Secondary cells and batteries containing alkaline or other non-acid electrolytes – Safety requirements for portable sealed secondary cells, and for batteries made from them, for use in portable applications”.

Thank you! this is exactly the kind of information I am looking for. Adding onto this in terms of individual cells:

1. CALB CA series cells are "UN38.3/MSDS, RoHS, CE, TUV, and UL certified 'with high safety'" (I'm not sure which UL standard). And the
  2. CALB SE series cells are also "UL certified" (again not sure which UL standard, and not sure about other standards)
  3. Not sure about other manufacturers of raw cells yet (but my guess is that the reputable manufacturers (CALB, Sinopoly, Winston/Thundersky, maybe ETC and CATL) have taken the time to get UL certifications, at least for their flagship products. I probably shouldn't speculate though.
On another note, here is another link that outlines some of the different certifications and the cost to complete them:

Back