diy solar

diy solar

USING DIFFERENT WATT PANELS

Russ

I know with batteries you need to use the same ones in a bank.
However, with solar panels does it matter? I have 2 Nature Power 165 watt batteries now. I want to add 2 100 watt panels is this ok?
The panels came with SAE connectors on them and I purchased a SAE Y to MC4 adapter and connected them to the solar cable coming into the house.
If I get 2 more panels (maybe Renogy which probably would be MC4 connectors) will it be correct to use another Y adapter cable like now but purchase another Y adapter cable to put all 4 in Parallel?

I know this is a little confusing. Main thing I want to know is if panels of different brands and wattage can be combined on the same 2 wires going into the same PWM?

Last edited:
My first thought is as long as the voltages match, sure why not. I then giggled, " mixing different wattage solar panels", and found a variety of written and video articles on the subject.

ok. I need to get the yes or no answer so maybe this will help. Amps same to ? Thanks !

For optimum performance panels in parallel should have the same voltage ratings - VoC, Vmp. Also remember that when you have more than 2 panels in parallel you should be using a fuse in line with each panel, and optionally a blocking diode.

I wanted to order from Amazon tonight or in the morning and get them Friday.
There is a diode in the back of the panel isn't this a blocking diode?
Inline fuse of 20 , 25 , 30 amps no problem.

So I need to get another 165 watt /170 /175 watt panel and not something as far off as 100 watt. Well these panels were on sale and way to expensive honestly than most other priced panels of the same wattage to purchase again. Is there a tolerance I could go by like within 15 % of amps and or wattage or does it need to be the same exact panel? Hard to do maybe if not bought at the same time.

My first thought is as long as the voltages match, sure why not. I then giggled, " mixing different wattage solar panels", and found a variety of written and video articles on the subject.
OK. So 10 % tolerance on the Volts. Nothing was said about the Amps and that surprises me.

Thanks man !

The diode built into the panel is a bypass diode to account for panel shading in series.

A blocking diode isn't a necessity if you have the right size fuses. The diode completely prevents any current flowing into an under-producing or even faulty panel. The fuses should be rated higher than the normal current expected from the panel. Usually the recommended fuse size is on the label on the back of the panel.

You've asked if you can connect all 4 panels in parallel. When connecting in parallel you should keep the panel voltages (VoC, Vmp) the same for optimum results. If you have no choice but to use different voltage panels the blocking diodes become a necessity.

The amps can be different.

This last weekend i put in series a 30v 8amp panel with a 40 volt 5 amp panel and they worked but the most power I could achieve was 350 watts. If the panels were separate and produced full power they should combine to 440 watts. So obviously I di not get full power but i did achieve more power than either one individually

I talked to Renogy and the Volts are the important thing. Keep it within 10% tolerance and your OK. A blocking Diode is built in to the controller so that is not an issue.
The short video I was sent above this post was right on.
Thanks for your comment as always

Back