diy solar

diy solar

Voltage required to wake

MrNatural22

?SW sunshine =⚡️⚡️lit up thru the darkness✌️
Never have had a reason to wake a sleeping 12v lifepo BMS but a distant neighbor ran his 100ah lifepo down to where the BMS did its job and shut down the battery. (32" TV and inverter on all night :rolleyes:) States he tried a lead acid 12v battery to wake up the the BMS but did nothing. \
no charger available. My thoughts are lifepo is 13.6v so one would need at least that or higher to wake the BMS which a LA battery can't supply.
I suggested using jumper cables from a running vehicle to quickly reawake the BMS. Good idea or bad idea?
Never had a reason to reawaken any of my batteries as i monitor them closely.
Any and all input on this is appreciated.✌️

The voltage needs to be above the BMS resume voltage, and that may vary from BMS to BMS.

I'd try the jumper cables.
Thanks Steve.
I told him jumper cables from a running vehicle then once its awake a good 12hrs of sun back on his 325watt 60v solar panel thru an MPPT (battery connect first of course then connect solar panel (y)) to charge back up to near full. And buy a proper plug in lifepo charger for those dark times. AND buy a damn voltmeter, even a cheepy $4 H Freight one.
He thinks he's plugged into his house and can run that 1500w inverter and that big tv all night.
Doesn't understand solar capabilities and consumption on a 100ah battery yet.
BUT that's how we all learned by making assumptions and sometimes expensive mistakes. ;)

Last edited:
Usually the part that people forget is the need to first take the voltage down to essentially zero. In other words - disconnect it from everything else with a breaker, switch or removing a wire.

Back