diy solar

diy solar

weekend Summer/winter cabin advice

Stiffler

Hello everyone!
So here is my setup I have my storage section( 2 uhaul trucks to store atvs) for my 5 quads and I have my RV on my off-grid property which are not close to each other so I'm building two separate solar systems. I'm in Michigan so winters get bout - 10 but mostly 0 degree Fahrenheit.

Onto the storage solar system. Goal is to charge atv agm Batt on trickle chargers yr round... This system can be upgraded I just bout a kit from renogy to get me rollin
100w panel, pvm solar controller, 1500w inverter and a 12yr old car batt (thus the reason for new batt). I got a deck box that would fit probably two or three car batteries, Inside is the battery, solar charge controller, & inverter which is sitting on a pallet where I have my 100watt panel attached to on milk crate. I was going to throw some 2-in foam insulation panels on top of the box and sides for winter. I've been on the market for a good battery but can't decide which type of batt I should go with to handle the cold. Since my system is outside 100% I know it is a up hill battle. I'd like to do either a agm or lead acid 100ah or 200 ah I hear that's the best way for cold but still open for better ideas
My 5 trickle chargers in total only pull 20w + the drain from inverter (haven't measured but its not a lot),,, I won't be digging a hole I won't be using cow manure, I can put hay around it but keeping the Batt warm to accept solar power is my concern, my impression was as long as it's getting solar power charging it keeps them warm. But at night it cold drop to -10 and i could go weeks before I go back up there to keep a eye on things and when I do it's only for 2 days on the weekends in the winter and summer currently I'm just testing the system with a 12 yr old car battery and it works just fine. But it's summer

Plan of attack for cold
run a 110v timer that turns on a incandescent light bulb inside the box @ night say 40w + up to 20w in chargers = 60 watt give or take, which a 100ah should handle that just under 24hr with no solar Imput. My hopes is that a 60 watt drain enough drain + the heat from the bulb enough To keep the Batt box warm inside so when the solar array turn on light bulb turns off and the loop continues..
Thoughts? Tips? Better way? Plz! All ears!

Solar rv setup

Plan is to buy eco-flow Delta Pro with the max amount of solar panels it requires to power rv for the summer /fall use with the inverter generator piggyback when needed & take it home to store in garage. when it comes to Winter was going to use a 200ah or 100ah agm or lead acid batt for the winter /snowmobiling weekends for just like lights TV and phone charging & that's gonna be using the same solar panels but I would need to get a mppt controller(suggestions) and a 2000w inverter which I have to power lights and small stuff in combo with 2000w inverter generator that runs on propane for the heavier loads like microwave.... in this case I have a shed not very big one but I'm thinking I'd have to create a smaller batt box and maybe do the same setup with a 110 volt timer that turns on a light bulb say 60 watts to have a drain on the battery @ night to create Heat along with the heat from light bulb. the rv has a parasitic drain that I haven't been able to measure yet so that comes in my favor come winter time

thank you
for taking the time and reading this lengthy post but I'm very new to this and I've done a crap ton of videos from Will( super awsome guy) and reading these threads a lot and this is what I have come up with I thought maybe doing the eg4 all-in-one but the parasitic drain from the inverter constantly and I also figured that it's probably not good to leave it outside in the shed in the winter time from all the moisture and whatnot thus the reason for the ecoflow delta

Back