diy solar

diy solar

What happens if the panel draws more than the inverter can output?

Travis55

Let's say you have a split phase setup of two inverters such as MPP LV6548. Together they output somewhere around 100-110 Amps. What if you had a 200A panel and the AC kicked on or something and you drew above that inverter output amperage. What would happen?

If your load is greater than your inverter can supply it will go into overload condition. Sometimes this is delayed a bit as your inverter has a leeway ability for surges. If it did not have a protective function your loads would experience a Brownout condition as the output voltage dropped.

ETA: Incidentally if your batteries can not keep the DC voltage high enough to maintain the inverters AC output voltage you will have a low voltage shutoff of inverter under heavy load.

Thanks all, what's the best way to monitor the amperage that the panel is drawing, does the inverter screen(s) show this, or is there something I put inline that can show the current?

Thanks all, what's the best way to monitor the amperage that the panel is drawing, does the inverter screen(s) show this, or is there something I put inline that can show the current?

I installed these above my panel

and while active at

Last edited:
Back