diy solar

diy solar

What's it called?

Hi guys, what are those grid tie inverters called that just draw from the grid and don't send any power out? So like when my batteries get too low it switches to grid power till batteries are charged up. Can you give me an example of one also.
I'm learning a ton here, unfortunately it seems to take 40 tons to get it right! Thanks!

Ok, thanks. I bought a grid tie inverter that I thought was what I needed, but I think I goofed. Can that switch be added separately or does it need to be part of the inverter? 24v 6.5kw inverter if that matters.

Ok, thanks. I bought a grid tie inverter that I thought was what I needed, but I think I goofed. Can that switch be added separately or does it need to be part of the inverter? 24v 6.5kw inverter if that matters.

The transfer switch can be purchased separately. Getting a grid tie inverter to work off grid is not for the faint of heart.
I suggest you return or resell your grid tie inverter and get an integrated inverter/charger transfer swtich.

Last edited:
Your looking for an "Inverter/Charger" which uses the battery bank charged by solar / grid / genset to feed out your AC power but can switch to grid or genset IF batteries reach depletion threshold. The inverter takes care of converting the battery power to AC and deliver it to your AC panel and the built in charger can charge the batteries when required. Tier-3 Value products will not do this without extra equipment and their programmability is limited. Have a look at the SAMLEX link in my signature, these can do what you want and can incorporate a solar charge controller through their inputs as well. There are North American & European models that vary a little.

Thank you for your advice! My plans all make sense till I click the "Pay Now" button. Then it gets a little foggy. I'll make the changes. Thanks again!

I’m waiting for my jump starting morning coffee infusion but, it sounds
like your maybe asking about the MPP solar all in one units? ?
Inverter/charger/ MPPT charge controller. Uses solar or grid to charge. Switched to grid to charge when battery is low and no solar available......

Yes, that sounds like what I'm thinking of. I had to change my original grid tie plan because our power company makes it very difficult to accomplish. Not quite ready to totally off grid though either. Maybe that system is a good compromise for now. I guess I jumped in without enough research. Will makes it seem too easy! ?

There are other versions of the all in ones I'm sure, with various higher voltage capability differences. The MPP solar PIP units do not back feed the grid but I've read the Hybreds can be set not to back feed also. MPP solar has been around for quite a while and has proven dependable.

Back