diy solar

diy solar

Where to Store Solar Components and Batteries in Cold Climates

Weren't those winters cold due to volcanoc activity?
The winter of 1992-93 was shortly after a volcanic eruption. That may have been a contributing factor. I am not sure about the one back in the 1970s. In the 1970s it was so cold the harbors froze over. I remember some people, a whole lot crazier (more brave) than I, walk across the frozen New Haven, CT harbor on Long Island Sound. Yep, salt water!
You have to plan for the worst!

Similar question. House with basement and unheated garage in Wyoming. I'd like to put the batteries someplace that will be both *safe* (for house occupants in case of any fire risk, etc), and safe for the batteries (from the cold). Even the garage can get well below freezing some days. Heated cabinet in garage? Fireproof cabinet in basement? Something else?

Even the garage can get well below freezing some days
Some days...? It doesn't have any importance. Put your batteries in the most convenient and safe place.
There are countries they have temps below freezing point for half of a year, then it matters.

Some days...? It doesn't have any importance. Put your batteries in the most convenient and safe place.
There are countries they have temps below freezing point for half of a year, then it matters.
So if I put batteries in the garage, which is known to freeze, and still attached to the house, is there a best practice to (a) support warming the batteries so they can charge when the garage is below freezing, (b) protect the house from any possible mishap/fire the batteries might ever experience (I recognize this is unlikely, but still, any potential fire hazard in the house frame, I'd like to have a plan to mitigate) ? And yes, there are certainly places that have more cold than Wyoming, though we have our share, but even a few days (and it's probably more than that) when the batteries can't charge unless kept warm, seems like something I ought to manage. (If they were outside, it would be way more than a few days)

Little cabin insulated with rock wool give you frost protection and little bit fire protection. If you still see too low temperatures, you can add a piece of 10W self regulated heating cable in the cabin, you know those anti frost pipe protection cables that heat only near freezing point..

Back