diy solar

diy solar

Which Fronius Smart Meter to use for USA 240 volt split phase? Fronius SM WR 100-600 (WND-WR-MB)??

road glide

Which Fronius Smart Meter to use for USA 240 volt split phase? Fronius SM WR 100-600 (WND-WR-MB)??
Viewing Smart meters and there are several choices. We are USA split phase 240v and the WR seems correct.
There is also a meter with 140-240 WNC-3D-240-MB.
Inverter would be Fronius Primo 6kw.

Do you specifically need the RS485 functionality for a PLC or Controller or is this just to monitor energy, production or consumption, both?WattNode is what Schneider uses for Sell Back control.

The Fronius Primo has an optional WiFi to transmit solar production data and other related info. There also other energy monitors such as Emporia, Sense, IotaWatt.

Not sure how to answer the question with what was posted.

The fronius smart meter is probably rebranded wattnode LOL..but we are looking to monitor energy, production, consumption and most importantly sell back control (zero export control) if we install a second array for another seperate installation.
Trying to figure out if the "WR" is the latest update over the WNC. Hope that makes sense. WR is $310 and WNC is $238 currently on web.
We have SMA sunny boy 5kw US -41 which is the latest and last US model over the 5kw US40. Everything we have on current system is SMA also dual Sunny Islands 6048.
So I am familiar with SMA and not Fronius....
Probably will end up talking to a vendor for the Fronius Smart Meter....maybe they would know the difference...

Last edited:
Looks like a Wattnode to me.
There were quite a few to choose from. RS-485 in particular I needed for Sunny Boy Storage. I got a deal on a couple from eBay. They handle three phases but came with two CT for split phase.

I was careful to match up the exact part number from SBS documentation. You should find the same for your Fronius. Maybe an updated manual will address later Wattnode models.

I don't think SI understands zero or limited export. It can be connected with Grid as Generator.
You could use a meter to control inverter output to limit exports. I figured if set for zero, due to possible +/- offset, when running off-grid it might ramp GT PV inverter down to zero trying to limit grid connection to -1W instead of 0W.
Have to think through how system works and unintended consequences.

With SBS, I think it is the master, reads the meter and sends Ethernet commands to SB. SBS knows if it is on or off grid.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Guys...I love you guys for chiming in but again NOT asking about SMA, Sunny Boy or Islands.
Just want know if the FRONIUS DATA MGR has a superceded model which would be the WR.

Researching, researching;
Looks like the WR has higher line voltage ranges and works up to 600v, possible 3 phase (Australia, etc) or use 2 line inputs for North America. Carol (Alt-E) has video showing WNC.
The WNC shows L1 - 120 and L2 - 240 which would be more in line with stsndard USA split phase 240.residential.
The CT inputs are same on both .333 as are RS485 and dip switches.
That being said if & when we do the project, the WNC should work.

Update: Purchased WattNode ModBus WNC-3U-208-MB on April 12th delivered April 16th via eBay...Now hunting for Fronius Primo inverter for my next project...

Back