diy solar

diy solar

Which of these 24V 100AH LFP batteries NOT to get, and other questions

AlpineJoe

Solar Enthusiast
I keep waiting for batteries to get cheaper, and they do seem to have dropped a bit this past week.

I need to add more storage so I can put more into my EV at night when I get home and to lower the peak current I'm pushing back into the batteries when charging. Of these 24V 100AH batteries, which would you cross off the list, or not buy even though the price looks good?

List is arranged from cheapest to most expensive.

DJLBERMPW - $404 (another that is $439 and I don't know what the difference is)
Chins - $409 after $50 off (Chins trustworthy anymore?)
DC House - $420
EcoWorthy "mini", ~ $423 after 10% off

LiPuls - $450 after $40 off
Redodo - $468 after 10% off
PowerQueen - $468 after 10% off
LiTime ~ $477 after 10% off

Lastly, EcoWorthy does have 12V 280AH packs for $1K. That's the cheapest solution but now I don't have a BMS across a 24V pack keeping it in balance.
What is your opinion on getting 2 12V 280AH EcoWorthy's?

Thanks

I have read multiple occurrences of forum members having issues with two (or more) 12 volt lfp batteries in series. Generally, the problem is with the batteries falling out of balance with each other. Avoid the series connection and get a 24 volt battery.

I keep waiting for batteries to get cheaper, and they do seem to have dropped a bit this past week.

I need to add more storage so I can put more into my EV at night when I get home and to lower the peak current I'm pushing back into the batteries when charging. Of these 24V 100AH batteries, which would you cross off the list, or not buy even though the price looks good?

List is arranged from cheapest to most expensive.

DJLBERMPW - $404 (another that is $439 and I don't know what the difference is)
Chins - $409 after $50 off (Chins trustworthy anymore?)
DC House - $420
EcoWorthy "mini", ~ $423 after 10% off

LiPuls - $450 after $40 off
Redodo - $468 after 10% off
PowerQueen - $468 after 10% off
LiTime ~ $477 after 10% off

Lastly, EcoWorthy does have 12V 280AH packs for $1K. That's the cheapest solution but now I don't have a BMS across a 24V pack keeping it in balance.

Thanks
Been enjoying my pairs of the djlb and ecoworthy minis in series 48V As you can see the minis are much more compact than the full size djlb but gave me a nice stacking option. If I had the cash I'd definitely pick up another couple pairs of the djlb.

20240426_073447.jpg

In
Been enjoying my pairs of the djlb and ecoworthy minis in series 48V As you can see the minis are much more compact than the full size djlb but gave me a nice stacking option. If I had the cash I'd definitely pick up another couple pairs of the djlb.

View attachment 211610
thanks for the info on the Djl…. Which of these two did you get? (I don’t know why there is a price difference - one tear down showed pouch cells)

1714158134909.png

Same battery, different seller. The ones I've bought are the ones with 256+ reviews. Based on some of the review photos it's using Gotion prismatic cells:
That may be true but it is also being sold by DLJBERMPW too for $439 and $404. I wrote to them and they said it’s the same battery but the one link is participating in a short Amazon promotion. They also said they were prismatic not pouch. Based on their reply I went ahead and bought one.
1714268568903.png

Attachments

• 1714268515500.png
    1714268515500.png
    200.4 KB · Views: 0
Like all of them, except SOK & Victron. None of the good brands sell their stuff on Amazon like epoch, voltgo, eg4, sfk, aolithium, lithionics.

Like all of them, except SOK & Victron. None of the good brands sell their stuff on Amazon like epoch, voltgo, eg4, sfk, aolithium, lithionics.
Well I certainly can't speak for all LFP batteries on Amazon, definitely don't just sort by lowest price and click buy, but I've got at least minimum advertised capacity and often more with Redodo 12V 100Ah minis, djlb 24V 100Ah, ecoworthy 24V 100Ah mini, and ecoworthy 48V 50Ah. I would argue that all of these are less hassle than many people seem to be having with out of balance eg4 batteries.

I use to believe capacity is the sign of quality untill my own batteries (Grade B) which did test to 94% of rated capacity when I got them (what most would consider really good) ended up going to 0 volts and now are dead.

Capacity will not address internal short issues that can drain a cell down to 0 volts. These don't show up in capacity test, maybe if you charged a battery and then did a capacity test a month later could you find out this issue, these batteries should only loose about 3% capacity/month.

And I'm not just unlucky who has all the bad things happen to him, plenty of people will tell you the same, one day my cell just went to 0 volts despite testing to 95% or more of the rated capacity.

So now I am convinced that unless you can charge these grade B batteries to 100% at least a few times a month you are taking a risk. 🤷‍♂️

i don't consider 94% of rated capacity to be very good. I get 104-105Ah out of my Redodo mini 12V 100Ahs.

Well, when I started this diy thing many people said 94% is very good, certainly at that time the price for capacity vs. the retail batteries was significantly better, back then even the Ruxio filled with shaving cream foam sold for $780.00 for a 12v 100ah. Grade A and Grade B were lost in fog of war for the most part.

A lot has changed since those 3 or so years and capacity is no longer the tell all for quality / longevity imo.

Back