diy solar

diy solar

Why not to use Daly BMS with MPPT controllers

not yet, if they work the bugs out and maintain a reasonable level of quality eventually they will eclipse the current brands that are. I jsut do not see that happening with signature solars customer service though.
What bugs do they have?

Signsture Solars customer service is definitely not flawless, not sure where you got the idea that they were better than SolArks customer service...

I would consider SolArk Tier 1.

What bugs do they have?

Signsture Solars customer service is definitely not flawless, not sure where you got the idea that they were better than SolArks customer service...

I would consider SolArk Tier 1.
I think he may have mistaken sol ark for signature solar. They’re different but easily mistaken. Sol Ark 15k = Tier 1 whereas Signature Solar EG4 18kpv = Tier 2 soon to be Tier 1 once they get better customer service?

I think he may have mistaken sol ark for signature solar. They’re different but easily mistaken. Sol Ark 15k = Tier 1 whereas Signature Solar EG4 18kpv = Tier 2 soon to be Tier 1 once they get better customer service?
Also depending on your loads and whether or not an all in one is necessary because you don’t want to mess with separate components the real Tier 1 you may want to look at is a Schneider.

Well Deye "service" is essentially non-existent. Never got a understandable response from them on even the most simple questions.

Schneider makes pretty good stuff but first find out how well they communicate with the end user (non installer).

Well Deye "service" is essentially non-existent. Never got a understandable response from them on even the most simple questions.
Who brought up Deye?
Schneider makes pretty good stuff but first find out how well they communicate with the end user (non installer).
Exactly the reason you don't see very many of them installed on this website, they aren't very DIY friendly IMO. SolArks on the other hand, are plentiful on this forum, and almost always DIY installed.

Sol-Ark (I find "SolArk" refers to a number of other companies) was founded in 2013.

They claim to have sold to many Fortune 500 customers, as well as "the largest space agency in the world". If true and used for mission critical applications, they are Tier-1. But not if just used for less important loads.
I had been thinking "not yet", didn't consider a 10 year old company Tier-1.

For Tier-1, I think of Schneider and SMA, for PV/battery systems, maybe some others.
Several other companies for GT PV, and several for UPS.

I had this happening on an EV conversion I did years ago. I used an extra 36V pack in series with the larger 380V main battery pack while I was doing some testing. The main pack was contactor driven, but the smaller one had a BMS on it, which I totally forgot. As it got depleted the BMS opened and fried the mosfet, so that was just left permanently wired in series ended up being drained or even briefly reverse charged. No damage as the main controller picked up the 50V sag and limped the motor, but the cells gone pretty low.

I work for a semiconductor manufacturing company and I also learn that one canot use a semiconductor switch like a TRIAC to disconnect a critical safety cut out like washing machine power when the door is opened for the very same reason. There is a regulatory norm that dictates one needs to have a physical switch with a certain clearance (can be hybrid rleay + triac or mosfet) to supress arc.
Even if driven by a relay it needs to run critical software on the MCU to ensure a fault wont leave the relay closed and needs to conduct checks at startup to stop if the contacts are welded. Unfortunatelly the chinese don't really care too much about this and way too often we forget. This video is very usefull as a reminder to think outside the box. I had already forgotten this incident!

I also recommend a crowbar type circuit where it is expected the voltage may raise too high for whatever reason. That would short out a fuse if the voltage gets too high.

Last edited:
Would be nice to know what MPPT controller did that.

I've read about those, but at first glance it seemed like a really shitty solution compared to just using a decent Victron or similar.
Doesn't matter. They are all a buck converter, so once the switch fails, they connect the panels to battery. That's the price we pay with cheap non isolated 'universal' MPPT converters. Since they are made for a variety of voltages, they lack protections one would see on a dedicated voltage device.

I don't think the voltage ever got to 90V, probably just 5 or 6 volts per cell was enough to damage them like that.

Back