diy solar

diy solar

6000xp Weekly Generator Run

dmkjr

Solar Enthusiast
Is there a method of running my generator for weekly tests with the 6000xp? I thought my computer in the ATS at my other house handled the startup to run weekly. It’s just been so long I forgot how that starts.

Edit: Not that this changes much, but I have two units in parallel.

Last edited:
As of now Gen Exercise is not available on the 6000XP, but if you wanted to you could set "Generator Charge Start Battery SOC" to the current level of your batteries to test the generator. That setting can only go up to 90%.

The exercise option for my Generac is setup at the generator. Maybe yours has that option, too?

The exercise option for my Generac is setup at the generator. Maybe yours has that option, too?
I wish. I had a friend that owed a favor and I received a Onan Cummins RS12000.

This thing runs like a top(ish) but is old. Just installed as another form of backup power.

@EG4_Eric is that option coming to to the 6000xp? Secondly, is there any issue with it running with AC power still active?

@EG4_Eric is that option coming to to the 6000xp? Secondly, is there any issue with it running with AC power still active?
I will find out and get back to you on that, but as far as running the generator you shouldn't have any issues as long as you change the settings as i mentioned. That will allow the generator to kick in instead of using AC power.

I will find out and get back to you on that, but as far as running the generator you shouldn't have any issues as long as you change the settings as i mentioned. That will allow the generator to kick in instead of using AC power.
I do not want to disconnect from AC. I want to utilize it just like a normal ATS. It will not bring the power into the unit because it will not need it. I'm just assuming (and hoping) the unit is smart enough to not pull from the generator while AC power is active. I could see all kinds of issues with that if it was out of phase, dirty, etc.

There is no issue running the generator while AC power is connected. We are looking into bringing the Gen Exercise to the 6000XP.
This would be a huge win for those of us with units that don’t natively exercise with an onboard computer. There are, of course, other options that can integrate and control remotely, but controlling from the 6000’s is a far better option.

There is no issue running the generator while AC power is connected. We are looking into bringing the Gen Exercise to the 6000XP.
These might be some dumb questions, but...

1) If entirely off grid and have generator connected directly to the gen input, can we just turn on generator and let it run for several minutes, without a worry? I don't want the generator powering loads when that happens - I just want it to run and cycle the generator, perhaps charging the batteries a bit with the power produced, but not powering loads.

2) I plan to purchase a chargeverter and use that with an inexpensive, somewhat small (~ 6-10 KW), NON inverter generator, purely to recharge batteries during extended cloudy periods. I know EG4 recommends a generator 1.5 inverter size for every inverter in use, but come on... that's beyond excessive if you don't want the generator to run the whole house. I don't want or need the generator to power loads through the inverter, as I'll recharge before battery SOC is excessively low, and just need to recharge batteries when sun doesn't cooperate for a few days. So, can the 6000 XP be programmed to use gen input ONLY for battery charging, and not powering loads? If not, what's the best way to connect chargeverter to 6000XP and Powerpro batteries?

Thanks!

Last edited:
If PV power is adequate to power loads during this time, then the generator should not power loads. However, if the loads exceed the available power there is a chance that the generator could be used to power loads during that time. The 6000XP can not be programmed to have generator charge only the batteries.

The best way to connect the chargeverter to the system would be through an external bus.

The best way to connect the chargeverter to the system would be through an external bus.
Thank you, Eric. So, if using a chargeverter with, say, Powerpro batteries and 6000XPs, would it be better to have the batteries go first to a bus bar (maybe even a Victron Lynx?) and then to the inverter?

It seems that would also enable additional PV inputs beyond those within the inverter(s), by having additional charge controllers (from, e.g., Victron or Midnite) connect to the bus bar. Wouldn't that allow for PV inputs beyond those on the inverter, without causing an issue?

Should be pretty simple to make work also. Two digital inputs Start and Stop unless you want it to go online also.

Setup some relays with a timer.

Should be pretty simple to make work also. Two digital inputs Start and Stop unless you want it to go online also.

Setup some relays with a timer.
Strangely, my inverter can start the generator in a grid-down/low-battery situation but it can't start it to exercise it. It's not a huge deal to me because my generator is on a scheduled weekly exercise regime. I merely suggested that might be an option for the OP.

Thank you, Eric. So, if using a chargeverter with, say, Powerpro batteries and 6000XPs, would it be better to have the batteries go first to a bus bar (maybe even a Victron Lynx?) and then to the inverter?

It seems that would also enable additional PV inputs beyond those within the inverter(s), by having additional charge controllers (from, e.g., Victron or Midnite) connect to the bus bar. Wouldn't that allow for PV inputs beyond those on the inverter, without causing an issue?
Yes, it would be better to have the batteries go first to a bus bar.
Also, you can add additional charge controller to the external bus. I would make sure they are not exceeding the charging amperage of the batteries.

Yes, it would be better to have the batteries go first to a bus bar.
Also, you can add additional charge controller to the external bus. I would make sure they are not exceeding the charging amperage of the batteries.
Ok, I get the concept. I currently have 5 PowerPro batteries daisy chained into my inverter using the standard cables. If I wanted to add more - with a new additional charge controller - would they also daisy chain? Say I wanted two more, would those two be daisy chained but only communicate with the charge controller?

Is there a wiring diagram anywhere that I can study?

We're currently satisfied with using a single inverter, it meets our needs just fine. Power storage is another issue. We stopped at 5 batteries because that's what the docs indicated as an upper limit for a single 18Kpv. If there's a way we can add more batteries that the inverter can draw from but not charge to, I'm VERY interested in this solution.

Ok, I get the concept. I currently have 5 PowerPro batteries daisy chained into my inverter using the standard cables. If I wanted to add more - with a new additional charge controller - would they also daisy chain? Say I wanted two more, would those two be daisy chained but only communicate with the charge controller?

Is there a wiring diagram anywhere that I can study?

We're currently satisfied with using a single inverter, it meets our needs just fine. Power storage is another issue. We stopped at 5 batteries because that's what the docs indicated as an upper limit for a single 18Kpv. If there's a way we can add more batteries that the inverter can draw from but not charge to, I'm VERY interested in this solution.

Additional batteries can be added, however, you may run into slower charge times. Also you would want to make sure that the external bus is rated for the amount of amperage that will be present. The additional charge controller would be connected to the external bus. Below you can find the wiring diagram that covers most of these connections.

1716322950067.png

@EG4_Eric Hmmm... So, maybe I'm missing something, but if one wishes to use the EG4 conduit box that fits below the 18KPV or the 6000XP, where on earth does the external bus bar go?

For that matter, even if an external bus bar isn't used, where/how does one connect a chargeverter into such a system? To just one battery? A separate chargeverter to each battery? Or to the positive lead of one battery and the negative led of another (furthest away) battery? Seems that once anything other than EG4 inverter, conduit box, and battery is introduced into the equation, it gets much less "clean". What am I missing?

@EG4_Eric Hmmm... So, maybe I'm missing something, but if one wishes to use the EG4 conduit box that fits below the 18KPV or the 6000XP, where on earth does the external bus bar go?

For that matter, even if an external bus bar isn't used, where/how does one connect a chargeverter into such a system? To just one battery? A separate chargeverter to each battery? Or to the positive lead of one battery and the negative led of another (furthest away) battery? Seems that once anything other than EG4 inverter, conduit box, and battery is introduced into the equation, it gets much less "clean". What am I missing?
The external bus bar definitely will make it more complex. The cleanest version of a bus bar that I've seen would be lynx distributor.

Back