diy solar

diy solar

Circulation Pump between Pond and Artificial Creek

Michelle Konzack

Hello *,

I plan to build a 1000m3 pond which is feed trough a 140m long DN100 PP Pipe which I got for free.
They are 1,3m deep in the ground and will never see any frost.

However, parallel is a HDPE Pipe PN8 40x2,4 with 140m and I want to pump roughly 10m3/h with maximum 8 bar trough it.
Where the Pump is installed at the pond, I have no 230V available.

The Creek is starting above my EarthCellar with a waterfall and a little creek of 30m trough my Garden.

Where the pump is installed at the pond, I have only 24V DC available where 63A would be acceptable because there is a 4G50 where for PLUS and MINUS are used two conductors in parallel.

However, I have now several options where some are more or less not suitable because of the MTBF

1. Using Solar Well Pumps from China
    • Type: 2m3/h @120m head (80m head required because of the pressure loss in the HDPE pipe)
    • Advantage: Can be used direcly from Solarpanels but also from Batteries
    • Advantage: Easy to install and scale
    • Advantage: Can NOT run 24/7
    • Disadvantage: Lifespan not more then 2000hours
  2. 230V AC Pump
    • Type: Hard to find
    • Advantage: Compact and exist even as Slurry Pumps
    • Advantage: Slury Pumps can run 24/7
    • Disadvantage: Aquarium Pumps very expensive
    • Disadvantage: Require Inverter which support 3kW hence a Victron MultiPlus 24/5000
  3. Motor coupled Pumps
    • Type: Hard to find if not Marine version
    • Advantage: Any Motors can be connected (I use IEC Norm Motors made in Germany from 550W to 5,5kW in 24V DC)
    • Advantage: Can run 24/7
    • Disadvantage: Hard to find

Hence to increase the power stability without feeding back to my Victron BatteryProtect220 I would install a Diode/Rectifier with 200A and install at the end of the line a small 100Ah Acid Battery to stabilise the Voltage and use 1-2 Victron SmartSolar MPPT 250/100-Tr VE.Can with each 5 panels 550Wp

I tend to use option 3, because I can use a Curtis/Kelly Controller for the DC Motor and reduce the power/flowrate over night

What is your opinion?

Thanks for your Help
Michelle

Using Solar Well Pumps from China
  • Type: 2m3/h @120m head (80m head required because of the pressure loss in the HDPE pipe)
  • Advantage: Can be used direcly from Solarpanels but also from Batteries
  • Advantage: Easy to install and scale
  • Advantage: Can NOT run 24/7
  • Disadvantage: Lifespan not more then 2000hours
Sounds like a fun project! Please share some pictures when you get a chance.

I'd go the solar route first since it's the lowest cost and easiest to set up initially.

I wonder if you were to use a pump rated for 4m3/h @ 160m of head if you might get 2x's the life?? That's assuming you can find one.

Aslo, I'm curious about what pumps from China you are referring to. I've been dabbling with a positive displacement solar pump from China for a few years now. It runs at a partial output 6 to 12 hours per day but only a few hundred days per year so I can't speak to how many so I'm just now getting to the 2,000 hour mark. It came with a spare helical rotor so it can be rebuilt in the field. I think they told me the motor was rated at 10,000 hrs but that was a while ago. I actually just ordered a few more pumps from the same people. I have a pond project and a spare well so in some way we are doing similar things.

Back