diy solar

diy solar

Exhaust for whole house genset

Still under the eaves, though? Any windows or other openings this side of the house?

Some houses are pretty well closed off, others are totally vented so gasses under the eaves would go right into the attic. There, would cool and settle into the house.

Unlike cars with closed-loop fuel injection running 0 to 1 ppm CO, generators are carbureted and run rich, can produce very high CO. Recent ones have CO detector shutdown, but that only helps if operated in an enclosure.

Maybe if this generator is located where a permanently installed one would be, away from openings, it is OK. But at least examine the eaves for vents.
Eves are 23 ft up. There are two small windows to the left about 10 ft that do not open. No other windows on that side.

Ok. I guess I'll just put the damn thing in the neighbor's driveway.
I know it's frustrating, but it's a valid concern. That seal thing could work (it's still not a SEAL). Heck, a roll of duct tape sitting on the generator with a note saying "tape up dryer vent before using" would probably be good enough.

I know it's frustrating, but it's a valid concern. That seal thing could work (it's still not a SEAL). Heck, a roll of duct tape sitting on the generator with a note saying "tape up dryer vent before using" would probably be good enough.
Nah, it's real easy just to move it left another 10 ft. And I like the idea of the exhaust pointing away from the house.

Nah, it's real easy just to move it left another 10 ft. And I like the idea of the exhaust pointing away from the house.
My propane generator is in my detached garage, and when (if) I have to run it, I'm just going to just close the doors and hold my breath when I go in to shut it off. 😅

Ok, got it to what I think is a good spot. 5' from all fresh air intakes, 3' from gas meters and the exhaust points away from the house. Gonna just take the wheels off and skip the log chain.

IMG_5847.jpg

Last edited:
Back