diy solar

diy solar

Frustrated in Puerto Rico?

missy73

Hello all,

I have a small system (8 plates, 8 batteries). I'm a bit ashamed to say it hasn't been operational for several years.

I do know a new inverter is needed, and perhaps the batteries aren't working either (and perhaps something else).

Working with an external person isn't an option, unfortunately. I live in Puerto Rico, where corruption and scams are rampant, and the costs of solar systems are 2-3X that in the 50 states. I've tried four different independent guys all more worthless and dishonest than the last. And the big companies won't work with existing equipment and won't even talk to you if you're not interested in a $25K system.

I have handymen that can do manual work and help with installs, but no one skilled and knowledgeable who can help diagnose and source pieces of equipment that I need.

I don't know where to start. I'm trying to get this system rehauled and up and running for hurricane season, without much success.

Advice? Online resources? Where can I learn? Are there any remote SME's that I could pay a bit to help me out?

Thanks so much all!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-05-06 at 9.27.42 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-06 at 9.27.42 AM.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 19
Well first thing I'd do is stick a meter on the batteries. After all this time, do they even have a charge left?
I wouldn't be surprised if they're no good after sitting this long, but maybe they're ok. Anytime I let my car battery sit for more than a few weeks it is dead it seems, so I don't have high hopes of a lead acid battery being good after years. Maybe I'm just jaded and those are better built.
The inverter may not even power up without working batteries connected, so I'd start at least with getting something half functional there. What voltage system is it? For testing purposes you could maybe string a couple car batteries together to at least see if the inverter can turn on (wouldn't try and run it off the car batteries, but at least it may give you an idea of what does/does not function).

I live in Puerto Rico, where corruption and scams are rampant, and the costs of solar systems are 2-3X that in the 50 states. I've tried four different independent guys all more worthless and dishonest than the last. And the big companies won't work with existing equipment and won't even talk to you if you're not interested in a $25K system.
Well, it isn't much better in Florida. Solar is so full of scams and frauds it is amazing. The "green" economy is not about the ecology, but about the color of money, it seems. Trying to find a decent person to help you with something is about impossible as soon as you say "solar".

First step might be to document what you have exactly, then you might find other users here who can help but leaving out details won't get you very far.

Mike C.

Just a wild guess:
1) Get a panel tester to test each panel. Wire up the panels that still work well. Or, just test the voltage at the Outback.
2) Check the water level in all the batteries. they are probably shot, but who knows.
3) Get a multi meter to measure voltages.
4) Measure the panel voltage into the Outback (keep the outback if you can).
5) If within operating voltage, check the output voltage of the outback.

6) If the batteries charge, then charge them up. Otherwise, buy (borrow) ONE LiFePO4 battery and charge it up. Make sure you set the right parameters on the Outback for the battery type.
7) Test the inverter. Voltage at the battery input? Output voltage?

Does any of the handymen you know have basic electrical knowledge and trouble shooting skills? Without either you or them having this it is just about impossible to remotely figure out what your system needs to be operational again.

Does any of the handymen you know have basic electrical knowledge and trouble shooting skills? Without either you or them having this it is just about impossible to remotely figure out what your system needs to be operational again.
Hi, yes, one is a certified electrician....but with almost no knowledge of solar systems (he's more the cement and chipping hammer old school type lol).

Interesting electricians you have if they use cement and chipping hammer.
Here in PR, if a tradesman doesn't have those skills they aren't going to have a lot of business. It's not like the USA where everyone is specialized and does one thing and one thing only, which means we have a lot of generalists and these types of projects are tough.

Just a wild guess:
1) Get a panel tester to test each panel. Wire up the panels that still work well. Or, just test the voltage at the Outback.
2) Check the water level in all the batteries. they are probably shot, but who knows.
3) Get a multi meter to measure voltages.
4) Measure the panel voltage into the Outback (keep the outback if you can).
5) If within operating voltage, check the output voltage of the outback.

6) If the batteries charge, then charge them up. Otherwise, buy (borrow) ONE LiFePO4 battery and charge it up. Make sure you set the right parameters on the Outback for the battery type.
7) Test the inverter. Voltage at the battery input? Output voltage?

thanks so much for the detailed response. I'm going to start working on this item by item....

thanks so much for the detailed response. I'm going to starting working on this item by item....

Back