diy solar

diy solar

Inverters that compare to MPP 3048lv-mk

fastline

I am looking for any comparables to the stated inverter unit which can sync generator power to the generated solar power to supplement the output? Seems many of these simply have a transfer switch so if solar cannot quite handle the load, you are stuck running full demand on generator power. the lv-mk syncs the two and will only use enough generator power to satisfy the load, which is what I am looking for. I realize some other big brands do this, but way outside the budget.

I guess I will clarify the application in case other ideas pop up. I will be running a VFD controlled water pump for irrigation purposes, off grid. I intend to have a battery bank simply to act as a buffer. The intent is to have solar panels primarily satisfying the load, but I realize on cloudy days, I may not have enough, in which I want to use a small generator to supplement. The requirement is approx 1500W and design is such that the generator could 100% power the pump when needed.

I will admit the design is somewhat complex but I need the VFD level control of the pump to modulate the performance as needed. In an ideal world, I could find a pump controller to do all of this but all I have seen are batteryless designs, not really designed for what I want to do. I do find that a true all-in-one inverter is quite an overkill here but I do need solar charging, and need 120V. The VFD will be stepping the voltage to 240V for the pump.

Last edited:
Not knowing your vfd or generator setups more in detail - here goes:

If you have a good VFD the MPP 3048 should be able to handle it. The MPP3048 to my knowledge can not run without batteries. They can do like pass through. Watts 24-7 demo'ed the 3048 using Solar to offset the AC demands. It has generator start stop terminals but again you need 48v battery for inverter. T Class Fuse watch video
Call Watts 24-7 and talk to them.

Growatt makes a unit in the 3000watt range that advertises batteryless operation but you need a big solar array think it recommended 200 volt on solar. This one probably needs 48v battery too.,,,T Class Fuse,, watch video.

"""""
WARNING. with these (all models with more than 145V) high voltage MPPT input models, DO NOT ground the PV+ or PV- inputs, do not share panels with other inverter MPPT inputs.

Each MPPT Input needs it own solar panel array , do not share common wires between arrays for different MPPT input.

SOLAR VOLTAGE NEEDS TO BE ABOVE 120V TO BE DETECTED, 160V TO 200V WORKS BEST (160V+ REQUIRED FOR BATTERYLESS OPERATION)

Keep it simple, One Inverter, one solar panel array (obviously the panel aluminum frame must still be grounded to conform to safety standards)

Not following these simple rules can cause damage to your inverter / pair of inverter.

Hybrid Power System
This is a multi-functional off grid solar inverter, integrated with a MPPT solar charge controller, a high frequency pure sine wave inverter and a UPS function module in one machine, which is perfect for off grid backup power and self-consumption applications. This inverter can work with or without batteries.
Add PV modules, generator, or utility grid, all or None.

Please consult with your system integrator for other possible system architectures depending on your requirements. The WiFi /module is a plug-and-play monitoring device to be installed on the inverter. With this device, users can monitor the status of the PV system from the mobile phone or from the website anytime anywhere.

Rated power 3KW, power factor 1
MPPT ranges 120V~250V, 250Voc
High frequency inverter with small size and light weight Pure sine wave AC output
Solar and utility grid can power loads at the same time With CAN/RS485 for BMS communication
With the ability to work without battery
Parallel operation up to 6 unit (only with battery connected) WIFI remote monitoring (optional)
""""""
Source

Watts 24-7 sells both of them on sale now. Call and talk to them.
This is cheaper then bought my 3048 direct from MPP SOLAR website.

You might be best served with Low Frequency type inverter.
Sunshine_eggo dropped that link in another post and that is a good price for low frequency 3000w inverter. Needs battery. Needs MPPT SCC. Can get it in 24v or 48v. This is probably of a more generator gets signal charge batteries and once charged signal shut down. i’ve noticed after batteries are topped that the Victron mppt SCC that I was playing with will come back online from float mode to charge batteries while inverter is pulling from batteries to try keep them charged. That is probably clear as mud? Again You would have additional cost of a good MPPT Solar charge controller…. There is no pv - mppt built -in this inverter despite the drawing - manual. MPPT SCC Additional cost.

IMG_6322.png

Back