diy solar

diy solar

Predator or Champion?

no further support and good luck getting parts.
Predator is interesting if you get the Protection Plan. No hassle replacement at the store, but then you have to buy another protection plan for the new generator.

OK, since I work at HF and I'm "The generator guy" (amongst pretty much all he sections) I feel I need to throw my $0.02 in here if it's not too late.

It used to be that the Honda was the standard by which all generators were compared, but over the last few years it's become the Predator that is "The Standard". That means something.

So, my professional advise, from owning 4 of them (2000w and 2500w) and selling them on a regular basis is...

Get the Champion! That propane is a really nice feature and the voltages don't lag as much as the Predator when you start pushing that running watts limit! Calling HF to order parts takes about an hour and a half on hold (ok, 1:22 on my cell phone) to get the parts ordered and then wait a week plus to get them. The Torch spark plugs are krap and almost never gapped right, and the rope LOVES to pull out of the handle on the first pull. Just get the Champion!

I own a champion. Would recommend. I’d have bought a predator except I’m in Canada. No Harbour freight up here. Much sad.
Totally happy with my champion. We use it regularly but next one will be dual fuel.

I think the HF Predators seem to have a better reputation but most generators are "murdered slowly" rather than being defective. In most cases they either run when new or they break down quickly if its a defective part. I do not think either TSC or HF offer any local service or local support beyond replacing a defective out of the box unit. When I look at the Champion warrantee https://help.championpowerequipment.com/article/ih2o4pfc2s-portable-generator-warranty its specific, you need to return the generator to Champion at your cost to certified service center (not the TSC you bought it from) and Champion decides it if its normal wear and tear, they do give you a lifetime toll free number to call. HF appears to do a 90 day replacement and that is it, no further support and good luck getting parts.

My observation on murdering a generator is the usual demise of a generator. No matter what the manual says, ethanol based fuel will kill outdoor power equipment. An intermittently used generator will almost always end up not starting after a year or two when you need it with a gunked up carburetor. Fully draining the tank and the carb bowl will help but the best option is run ethanol free fuel in it all the time or at least drain the ethanol gas out after use and flush it out with ethanol free. If you use it frequently you can leave in ethanol free for a couple of months but better off draining the tank and the fuel bowl and use it to mow the lawn. Note almost every carb on generator will have either a drain screw or a spring loaded drain on the bottom but they can be a PITA to get to. You also need to drain the bowl when the generator is cool as the gas usually goes where you do not want it. Puregas.org has listing of stations that carry ethanol free and i have bought it in VT so its available. Some folks use Aviation fuel but that usually contains lead which is of no value to modern engine and an environmental pollutant that probably knocked a few IQ point off the generation like me that grew up in the leaded gas era.

For regular use stuff (lawn mower) I will use regular gas with red stabil, and seafoam. For my Final Cut I will drain the tank and use Aspen, or trufuel.

Snowblower, and chainsaw use Aspen or trufuel 100%. Both will potentially sit for months and start with no issues.

During Covid and the lockdowns my chainsaw sat at our cabin unused for 2-1/2 years. The Aspen fuel was likely 6 months old (it’s good for 2 years opened) so we are talking 3 years and the chainsaw started right up.

Ethanol is bad. I agree, drain it and run some ethanol free for storage.

I got a great deal on Champions Amazon store over this past Christmas and they always run deals. Bought a gas only 120/240v 6250w open frame inverter generator for $287 then bought the propane/natural gas motor snorkel for $100. Did the break in on non-ethanol gas but it has only used propane since. I have the motor snorkel tuned to 4000w to charge my batteries. Great unit.

OK, since I work at HF and I'm "The generator guy" (amongst pretty much all he sections) I feel I need to throw my $0.02 in here if it's not too late.

It used to be that the Honda was the standard by which all generators were compared, but over the last few years it's become the Predator that is "The Standard". That means something.

So, my professional advise, from owning 4 of them (2000w and 2500w) and selling them on a regular basis is...

Get the Champion! That propane is a really nice feature and the voltages don't lag as much as the Predator when you start pushing that running watts limit! Calling HF to order parts takes about an hour and a half on hold (ok, 1:22 on my cell phone) to get the parts ordered and then wait a week plus to get them. The Torch spark plugs are krap and almost never gapped right, and the rope LOVES to pull out of the handle on the first pull. Just get the Champion!

Well I feel better. Had planned on going with a dual fuel Champ when I finally outgrow my Predator.

I should have gone with dual fuel to begin with. I didn't. Now if I want to use propane (I do), I need to find/buy a conversion kit, which from the looks of things is going to cost me as much as getting a dual fuel from the factory already. Derp. :fp2

I should have gone with dual fuel to begin with. I didn't. Now if I want to use propane (I do), I need to find/buy a conversion kit, which from the looks of things is going to cost me as much as getting a dual fuel from the factory already. Derp. :fp2

Propane doesn't go bad like ethanol gas, and I can't stomach the premium they demand for ethanol free. A dual fuel is the winner for me as I'd like to just hookup a 100 gal tank and never have to worry about it going bad. :)

Check out Hutch mountain.. they make a very good one for Honda I bought to convert it to propane & gas ..and also a lot of access items…
I have never spoke with them about other brands they may or may not sell … but the price was nowhere near the price of a decent dual fuel gen set.

J.

My pulsar generator runs ethanol gas fine :)
I’m using my propane stash approx 550 gallons as my back up for solar and it’s cheaper than grid too if used everyday if needed.
. ethanol is horrible to store even when treated heavily…

ethanol free can be stored longer but ya have to be exact in its storage.. I have stored it for two years and it did great but it was starting to smell .. and turn color.

they all usually fine on fresh ethanol for a short while but the gas won’t store well … if it isn’t treated and not in an full tank it will absorb water out of the air everytime there’s a good temp change… it’s trash in my mind … unless your using it very quickly …..but it’s still somewhat harmful to the guts of small engines internals.

Propane has a huge life span many many years…decades in some verified cases im aware of…lower emissions and it lessens the maintence by a lot on the gen set… a whole lot…

Both can hurt ya or blow up or whatever , but propane dissipates better I think ..

If Off grid , Solar is my first line of back up or use …….propane will be secondary back up or use .

…after that maybe a mule , a saw or an axe or hand pump.
I don’t know…

I turn the fuel off then let it run out of gas when I'm done with it. The ethanol runs great as mentioned and I run it out of the carb when done with it. The generator I have is designed to run on it so it doesn't eat the seals.

I never leave that much in the tank either. The mowers keep turn over nicely on the gas in the storage tanks.

Reactions: JRH
I have HF chipper, 6 HP engine.
Always starts on 1 pull, unless I flood it (ignition off) or fill the bowl with engine oil (unmounted, rolled engine + cutting wheel out of compost area to re-weld broken hub.)

1715893869036.png

I keep the gas in a 5 gallon metal pouring can, with fuel stabilizer from HF. Use it every few months, shut off fuel to run dry when done. About 5 years old now.

1715893830311.png

Not the same lifestyle a backup generator would have.
Propane or natural gas seems like the way to go, although Diesel reportedly can last many years.

Gas or diesel siphoned from your vehicle would be one (less convenient) way to have it fresh.

I keep the gas in a 5 gallon metal pouring can, with fuel stabilizer from HF. Use it every few months, shut off fuel to run dry when done. About 5 years old now.

View attachment 215850
That gas can was so pretty when it was new. Now mine is pink from sun exposure. Red is a very hard color to keep stable, esp. w/out toxic ingredients. As for use, it works far better than the plastic cans.

Yup, I got sick and tired of those safe, anti-spill plastic gas cans that always spill gas on my hands and shoes, as I try to press against fill nozzle or hold back collar.

Went looking for stainless, settled on that (galvanized?) steel can. List $100, found it for $70.
Tilt then pull bail to release gas.

Yup, I got sick and tired of those safe, anti-spill plastic gas cans that always spill gas on my hands and shoes, as I try to press against fill nozzle or hold back collar.

Went looking for stainless, settled on that (galvanized?) steel can. List $100, found it for $70.
Tilt then pull bail to release gas.

I use the VP Racing "cans".... and reminisce about the days when I was younger... and thinner... and able to contort...

1715916756002.png

1715916883590.png

This started with a discussion about the difference between Harbor Freights 90-day warrantee and Champions 1 year. If I were buying a generator I would buy from Costco, 2 year no questions return. Also, don't even consider actually bringing anything that has ever had gasoline in the tank back into a HF store. Leave it outside the door, go find the manager, be prepared to argue and generally lose.

This started with a discussion about the difference between Harbor Freights 90-day warrantee and Champions 1 year. If I were buying a generator I would buy from Costco, 2 year no questions return. Also, don't even consider actually bringing anything that has ever had gasoline in the tank back into a HF store. Leave it outside the door, go find the manager, be prepared to argue and generally lose.
Have you actually had this experience with Harbor Freight? I’d like to hear the details.

Not me, another customer while I was in the store. They were mad because it had gas in it, told him to take it away. I finished & left store. That said I have indeed had warrantee arguments myself in HF. My problem, California has consumer protection laws that include 1 year warrantee requirements and HF insists on 90 days. My issues were insignificant and not worth a trip to small claims court. I do still buy there but cautiously and never high-ticket items.

Back