diy solar

diy solar

Question About EG4 18kpv Grid Connection

I assumed I should have the PV disconnect, and rsd installed also.
yes.
Is there any chance for export in this scenario?
With an 18kpv, there will likely be some export regardless of your settings. When a large load suddenly cuts off, the power has to go somewhere.
With 6000xp, not likely. The 6000xp is either on-grid (powering load and charging battery), or off-grid supplying load. The inverter does not seem to be ever connected to the grid, except to charge batteries (which is taking power, not pushing power).

Do I even need to alert my power company?
18kpv: Probably. 6000xp: I can make the argument that it is no different than a battery charger to the grid.

With an 18kpv, there will likely be some export regardless of your settings.
Not correct.
In off-grid mode, it disconnects from the grid via relays but does still monitor the grid so that it stays synced.
If it needs the grid due to overload, it will close the relays and go into grid assist/bypass mode.

I have a question about the 200AMP pass through. In the 18k PV diagram it shows 60 AMP breakers. How does the 200AMP pass through work with a 60 AMP breaker?

Which diagram? There are various different scenarios this unit can be set up in, so 60 amp breakers do not apply to all of them.

I have a question about the 200AMP pass through. In the 18k PV diagram it shows 60 AMP breakers. How does the 200AMP pass through work with a 60 AMP breaker?

I believe the two diagrams you are referring to are the Partial Home Backup with Backfed Breaker and the Partial Home Backup with Supply Side Tap. With the backfed breaker diagram, you cannot take advantage of the 200A pass through since you are limited with the 70A breaker in the main panel. As for the partial home backup diagram, the critical loads subpanel can be 60-200A. However, the total loads form the main breaker panel, and the critical loads subpanel must not exceed 160A continuous.

1717081284034.png

Your reply makes no sense at all to me. "As for the partial home backup diagram, the critical loads subpanel can be 60-200A. However, the total loads form the main breaker panel, and the critical loads subpanel must not exceed 160A continuous."
Both diagrams are partial home diagrams.

"However, the total loads form the main breaker panel, and the critical loads subpanel must not exceed 160A continuous."
Again, total confusion. EG4 needs to create better schematics. Show us a schematic that can use the full 200A bypass that you market.

Why can't I feed the inverter with a 200A feeder main and feed the "critical loads" panel from the inverter 200A breaker? The supply side tap drawing is very confusing when applying your comments.

Again, total confusion. EG4 needs to create better schematics. Show us a schematic that can use the full 200A bypass that you market.
NEC only allows 160A continuous (80%), so I don’t see a problem with this. Other than confusing documentation/bad copy paste

There’s also a total home backup diagram that has been tossed around

post the link please
basically the marketing dept pitches a 18k with 200A bypass that is actually 15k with a 160 bypass. After all, the POINT of the system is to power a home so the OUTPUT data is what is important.

Yep, saw them. Why the manual transfer switch?
Easy bypass if the inverter goes bad.

The inverter is supposed to bypass internally but 💩 can happen.

Some people here use Polaris style connectors instead in that location to save $1000 on one of those switches in exchange for needing to manually rewire in case of a problem. This is a calculated risk — OK if someone in the household knows how to do this, and it is still better than 100% relying on the internal bypass to be functional.

If I can never sell power back, why wouldn't the published off grid schematics apply to me? I don't mind shutting off utility at the pole to work on the inverter. I can't sell power back and solar isn't an option here in Costa Rica (rainfall/clouds/shade in the jungle). We have very high humidity and lot's blips in the grid. I lost power 4 times yesterday for less than a minute each. My daily max use is between 10kwh and 15 kwh with peak of 8000 watts if i cook or run the electric dryer. Monthly is 250 kwh to 300 kwh. I have a year of data from my Emporia data logger.

I'm between the EG4 18 and the Sol Ark 12. I feel that I only need a 100 Ah battery but with high 85% to 90% humidity, my choices are limited.

This is my "dream" simple setup:

Attachments

• Inverter System Design V3.jpg
    Inverter System Design V3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 2
The 12k doesn’t have 200A bypass so isn’t a match for the 18kpv.

Do you need to use this tier of equipment in Costa Rica or can you try to get Deye directly? You don’t have local support anyway since you are freight forwarding it from the U.S. (well SolArk has local distributors I guess).

Part of “tier” means, they are able to operate in parallel with grid, they are able to peak shave, they have minimal transfer time because of being spun up.

You could also instead set up a stack of off grid inverters that are set up in UPS mode, and takeover when the grid goes out. Like a parallel stack of 6000XP. There are also a couple of stackable 10K off grid 120/240 inverters (EG4 doesn’t have one out yet but they are importable from China).

Back