diy solar

diy solar

100% Off-Grid Home - EG4 6k Inverter/GENMAX Portable Inverter Generator Tie In

ThePatriotDude

Hello, I live 100% off-grid in Willis, TX. I have (7k) in solar modules, (1) EG4 6k inverter connected to (4) LIFEPOWER4 EG4 batteries powering my 1500 sqft home. With the amount of weather we see in Texas each year solar is not enough to keep my batteries fully charged on bad weather days. I need to tie in a propane generator of some sort but everything I've read is most generators put out dirty power that could damage my equipment. I've also been told to buy a generator twice the size of the solar inverter to keep it safe but even then most generators still put out dirty power. I found this GenMax 9k Inverter generator recently that puts out a pure sine wave and was curious if these inverter generators are safe on Eg4 equipment and or if anyone has done any testing on them to confirm the quality of their output. Note: The loads in my home are very minimal. We are talking about a refrigerator and some lights.

Questions
1. Is it possible to get this GenMax 9k Inverter generator to automatically turn on when the batteries are low or do a need to buy a different type of generator or an automatic transfer switch?
2. Is a 9k generator sufficient just to recharge the batteries or would I need to get a larger generator?
3. How the heck do I tie in this Genmax inverter generator to this EG4 6k inverter?

I've called Signature Solar about this and they don't have any info about "inverter generators" at this time or how to tie generators into the inverter.

I run my gen through 48V chargers. SS now has a large 48V charger available for pre-order.

If your generator has electric start and an input, the EG4s have NC/NO output options.

There are also 48V generators with autostart.

Hello, I live 100% off-grid in Willis, TX. I have (7k) in solar modules, (1) EG4 6k inverter connected to (4) LIFEPOWER4 EG4 batteries powering my 1500 sqft home. With the amount of weather we see in Texas each year solar is not enough to keep my batteries fully charged on bad weather days. I need to tie in a propane generator of some sort but everything I've read is most generators put out dirty power that could damage my equipment. I've also been told to buy a generator twice the size of the solar inverter to keep it safe but even then most generators still put out dirty power. I found this GenMax 9k Inverter generator recently that puts out a pure sine wave and was curious if these inverter generators are safe on Eg4 equipment and or if anyone has done any testing on them to confirm the quality of their output. Note: The loads in my home are very minimal. We are talking about a refrigerator and some lights.

Questions
1. Is it possible to get this GenMax 9k Inverter generator to automatically turn on when the batteries are low or do a need to buy a different type of generator or an automatic transfer switch?
2. Is a 9k generator sufficient just to recharge the batteries or would I need to get a larger generator?
3. How the heck do I tie in this Genmax inverter generator to this EG4 6k inverter?

I've called Signature Solar about this and they don't have any info about "inverter generators" at this time or how to tie generators into the inverter.
Just keep in mind that the Genmax 9KW generator is 9KW at surge and not running consistently. The consistent running watts will depend on if you're using that genny with LPG or gasoline. You'll get slightly more power with gasoline but LPG is certainly cleaner and more convenient to work with in the long run. Wishing you all the best with your project.

Back