diy solar

diy solar

12v common appliances (amazon basics dc fan)

OhYou_

I thought this was kind of cool and figured I'd share for others to benefit.
There is a extreme lack of 12v fans on the market for home use, for fairly obvious reasons. But if you're like me and want to mainly use your dc side instead of running the inverter all the time, this is a problem.

Well Amazon about two weeks ago came out with a DC motor pedestal fan for a somewhat reasonable price.
I was able to get one and convert it to run on 12v very easily.
The fan itself has a very cheap 24vdc switchmode power supply, and thats almost it. I simply removed that and wired in a laptop car charger I had.
I now run it on 20v but thats fine. You do lose the oscillation motor since its AC but you could probably replace it with something else idk, I just didnt bother with mine.
overall as a fan, it's a bit big for a tiny home, and disassembling it for winter storage is a bit of faff but it just feels nice to have a proper fan.

here's a few pictures and the pinout and how the jack looks. It fits in the hole the ac lead came through nearly fine, almost as if it was a consideration to go dc and external psu.
20230505_131301.jpg20230505_132453.jpg

Very nice, thanks.

A fan is a wonderful thing to have in the heat or for all kinds of reasons.

Another option would be the use of a fan like this Ryobi fan designed to run their line of 18V Lithum batteries (or, it can plug into 115VAC). I own one and it is quiet (esp at the lowest setting), moves a lot of air, and draws about 14 watts on high, 7 watts on low. It'll run all night on one of their 2AH 18V batteries, and I'm pretty sure it would be happy running on 20V straight from a solar panel in the daytime (jumpered directly into the two exposed contacts in the battery well).

I’m getting my tack room set up with solar and will definitely be getting that fan @OhYou_ I’ve got a 24v system and would like to not get an inverter if I don’t need to.

Good for you to modify that fan.

Others wanting to consider other options:

Brushless motor, tilt capable, not tiny, input voltage 8-25V. We have it on the way. Hopefully it is decent.

GoSun gives discounts for connecting with them.

I was looking for a small 6" or 8" 12 volt fan that I can connect to 12 volt fuse block or USB port and found this one on amazon and really like it, super quiet, lots of air movement so much that I got another one for my desk station. So can use this fan without inverter to blow more air on the batteries and circulate air round the cabin when I'm gone.

SLENPET USB Desk Fan 6 inch, 4 Speeds Vintage Fan, Desktop Fans Small Quiet Electric Plug in, 90° Rotation, Powerful Mini Table Fan, Personal Fan for Office Home Bedside, No Battery, Bronze​

Good for you to modify that fan.

Others wanting to consider other options:

Brushless motor, tilt capable, not tiny, input voltage 8-25V. We have it on the way. Hopefully it is decent.

GoSun gives discounts for connecting with them.
Received unit. Performs as claimed. Really like the variable speed control.

Back