diy solar

diy solar

How to figure out fuse size for computer case fan wires?

Gueyog8a7

The fan says 0.16 amps draw but no information on the wire since it is made for a pc which doesn't use fuses for individual parts I guess.

The wires are super tiny though, like only 2 mm totoal and maybe .5 mm of the wire itself. I only have 2 amp fuse as my smaller ones currently. Should I buy smaller and get just as close to the .16 amp operation rating as I can find or will 2 amp probably be ok?

The fan wire it comes with is only small in length and I am connecting to much thicker 3 or 4 mm wire but realized it is no good fusing for that thicker wire and want to fuse for the thinnest wire.

Last edited:
The fan says 0.16 amps draw but no information on the wire since it is made for a pc which doesn't use fuses for individual parts I guess.

The wires are super tiny though, like only 2 mm totoal and maybe .5 mm of the wire itself. I only have 2 amp fuse as my smaller ones currently. Should I buy smaller and get just as close to the .16 amp operation rating as I can find or will 2 amp probably be ok?

The fan wire it comes with is only small in length and I am connecting to much thicker 3 or 4 mm wire but realized it is no good fusing for that thicker wire and want to fuse for the thinnest wire.

1 Amp is fine.

They aren't fused in computer applications

Because even if that fan were to short out in some weird way, the wires are so thin that they would act as their own fuse. You're looking at 1/12th of an amp, that's less than most flashlights draw and nobody bothers to fuse those.
I actually accidentally short circuited it yesterday and blew the fuse. I was not being very safe for sure and learned a good lesson for future. I wanted to keep the heater running while working on this circuit so didn't switch of the system while working in it. I probably would have for a larger load.

Anyhow I absentmindedly touch both the wires with a metal clamp thingy to make them more easy to feed in the plastic terminal connection which made a spark and blew the fuse. Good lesson not to cut corners.

I was still able to work with this circuit while the rest of the system was on as I remembered I had already switched it so just turned the switch off.

Back