diy solar

diy solar

12v lifepo4 charger that doesn't drain battery when ac is turned off

Crowz

Solar Wizard
I'm wanting to buy a 20 amp battery charger that will not drain the batteries when the its unplugged from ac aka the wall. This is proving to be a bit hard to find so far.

I want to connect the chargers ac plug to a smart switch and leave the battery charger connected to the battery bank. This way if I get days of no sun I can remotely turn on the charger or turn it off when not needed. Every charger I have found seems to drain the batteries when left connected and not plugged in.

Has anyone found one they use that doesn't do this?

I'm wanting to buy a 20 amp battery charger that will not drain the batteries when the its unplugged from ac aka the wall. This is proving to be a bit hard to find so far.

I want to connect the chargers ac plug to a smart switch and leave the battery charger connected to the battery bank. This way if I get days of no sun I can remotely turn on the charger or turn it off when not needed. Every charger I have found seems to drain the batteries when left connected and not plugged in.

Has anyone found one they use that doesn't do this?
The Victron IP22s shouldn't cause a battery drain. They don't "power up" from the battery like one of my battery mindrs does.

The Victron IP22s shouldn't cause a battery drain. They don't "power up" from the battery like one of my battery mindrs does.
I had looked at some of victrons as they came up in my amazon searches but it seems a tad high priced for something I won't use that much.

I'm looking at this one at the moment :

and

The eco worthy one is the cheapest and seemed to work well from the reviews but sparking when connected with it not plugged into the wall was the red flag that got me looking for a solution when it wasn't connected to ac.

The litime one is more expensive but I didn't see a direct "drain" issue but I imagine it does it too. My scooters charger does the same thing so its probably common.

I just hope the diode solution will work and not cause problems with any "sensing" it does when starting up charging but I don't see either of those chargers being that brilliant so maybe it wont be an issue.

Actually that one is looking more interesting :) It will look nice beside my other blue stuff like my sungold.

Does it remember the last charge mode when reconnected to power?

Also it says 3 output battery charger so does that mean it has outputs for 3 different battery connections? The pics on amazon don't show the connection spot. I'll download the manual before I buy but I figured I'd ask here first :)

Just watched a video so it does 3 batteries at once and they can all be different types too. Very nice.

Actually that one is looking more interesting :) It will look nice beside my other blue stuff like my sungold.

Also it says 3 output battery charger so does that mean it has outputs for 3 different battery connections? The pics on amazon don't show the connection spot. I'll download the manual before I buy but I figured I'd ask here first :)
yes it remembers the last setting.

Absolutely it remembers the last settings. It’s hands down the best charger out there for the money imo. And with the massive price drop that Victron just announced, it’s really a no brainer.

I was looking for a 30A charger and basic non programmable ones were going for $0 to $15 less than the IP22. I suspect the Victron is now priced lower than some of the ultra basic ones.

I have the ip22 12/30 (1). There are versions available with three outputs (3). However those have three positives and one common negative so you can't charge three isolated batteries.

Yes it will resume in the settings in use when power was disconnected.

And there's total control of settings via the Victron Connect app and historic data for last 40 cycles:
Screenshot_20231111_014125.jpg

Just watched a video so it does 3 batteries at once and they can all be different types too. Very nice.
It doesnt see three seperate batteries in the sense that you can control each, so if they aren't similar in charge and size you could end up having issues.

Absolutely it remembers the last settings. It’s hands down the best charger out there for the money imo. And with the massive price drop that Victron just announced, it’s really a no brainer.

I was looking for a 30A charger and basic non programmable ones were going for $0 to $15 less than the IP22. I suspect the Victron is now priced lower than some of the ultra basic ones.
The price drops were only on the smart sccs, not the AC chargers. Still worth it imo.

You may have a problem with the new chargers if they don’t see voltage at a certain level they may not work but the older chargers should work but you will have to watch it or do a preset time charging because the diode will stop the sensor capability most likely a potential issue I didn’t think about so maybe just a power supply on a predetermined time might be a option

The price drops were only on the smart sccs, not the AC chargers. Still worth it imo.

InvertersRus.com has a Victron B-stock section. Items are listed as “open box”, “cosmetic defect” or “used”. All have the same warranty, according to the manufacture date (just like new in box). I saved a nice chunk on my Victron IP22 12/30-1 buy buying open box. I think I paid $160 after tax, free shipping.

I have a 24v 16 amp IP22 (3) that stays wired to my buss bars as a back up charger if needed…it works great for that purpose …it is programmed to work with and without the main CC being off or on …day or night….it is in charger mode not in the power supply mode….it is never plugged in to any AC power source unless I wanted it to use it. It recalls all settings from the last use when plugged back in.
I never thought about it but I am not aware of any power draw when unplugged… it has no lights on , isn’t warm at all , …doesn’t hummmm…..it’s just sits there….
I’m always ready to learn ,and maybe somehow it is on ….if so ,what is it doing with the power it draws…where does it go ….and why…?

I have a 24v 16 amp IP22 (3) that stays wired to my buss bars as a back up charger if needed…it works great for that purpose …it is programmed to work with and without the main CC being off or on …day or night….it is in charger mode not in the power supply mode….it is never plugged in to any AC power source unless I wanted it to use it. It recalls all settings from the last use when plugged back in.
I never thought about it but I am not aware of any power draw when unplugged… it has no lights on , isn’t warm at all , …doesn’t hummmm…..it’s just sits there….
I’m always ready to learn ,and maybe somehow it is on ….if so ,what is it doing with the power it draws…where does it go ….and why…?
When I get it installed I'll use my clamp meter to see if its drawing anything when unplugged from the wall.

When I get it installed I'll use my clamp meter to see if its drawing anything when unplugged from the wall.

I’ll do this soon too and post my results here. Mine’s already installed and I now have a clamp meter.

Back