diy solar

diy solar

1300w split phase setup with subpanel 75' from the inverters, g-ngb?

Deadeyecustoms

I'm running a 1300w 28kwh off grid setup with two Big battery Rhinos. I refurbished an old Korean era Marine Radio Shelter & turned it into my solar shelter. It's located 75' away from where I'm building my new shop/studio. I installed the shelter & had it running long before I got my shop ready for power. So I had installed a native DC split in there for climate control which is directly connected to the battery bus bars 48v. I installed a small panel inside to power the shelters lights, router, exhaust fan when needed & heaters for winter. It also powers an outdoor 120v outlet next to my PV array. My array is on its own grounding rod. I have had my shelter on its own grounding rod as well, with the little sub panel inside tied to it, along with the equipment inside. I have 75' of 2awg running to my shops main panel where I also have another grounding rod & that panel was wired by my electrician buddy with an ground/neutral bond "the shelter sub panel is not ground neutral bonded. I've been powering most of my shop so far with an extension cord plugged into the outdoor gfi receptacle tied to my shelters sub panel. The only things so far powered off the main panel in the shop is the led lighting. They work just fine, but when I tried to flip on a breaker to a receptacle in the shop, I got a fault code F05 "output short circuit" which I had to reset the inverter. My main lines running to the main shop panel is not connected with a ground wire, "which is my thoughts on why it faulted" Since I had a grounding rod at the shelter & one at the shop with my limited knowledge of grounding and the fact I accidently bought 6/2 underground burial wire instead of 6/3 for split phase 220v. So I have two hots & a neutral but no ground wire connecting the two panels. Is this why I got my short circuit? Also why does it work with lights but when I tried to add a receptacle it shorted? I'm located way up in the Tennessee mountains where no local solar experts exist to come look over my system & it's not easy finding advice for a system like mine. Completely off grid with the long distance between panels etc.

IMG_4828.jpgIMG_4829.jpgIMG_4822.jpg

IMG_4748.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5375.jpg
    IMG_5375.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5369.jpg
    IMG_5369.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
Structures must each have their own ground rod in the earth (possibly more than one, and all conductive ground penetrations, pipes, etc., must be bonded). If they are sharing a common electrical system, there must be a common ground conductor between the structures. Still only one N-G bond.

@timselectric can correct me and elaborate as needed.

I think that your short circuit error symptom is merely an overload fault from the inrush current.

It's slightly objectionable that you're using the ground wire of 6/2 cable as a neutral. 3 wire no ground service to an outbuilding was at least allowed before 2008. But using a ground as a neutral never was.

But if you are happy enough that the ground is insulated good enough for you as a neutral. Then I don't see an electrical fault otherwise.

Back