diy solar

diy solar

16S JBD BMS in parallel

squowse

Solar Enthusiast
I want two 16S batteries in parallel, each with their own BMS. I like the JBD bms and wish to use ones with both UART and RS485 connections. I want to use the UART for the Bluetooth and RS485 for Victron Venus OS using louisvdw dbus driver.

The model i am looking at is AP21S004. The only information I can find seems to indicate that this BMS is not suitable for connection in parallel. I cannot find the manual or datasheet though.

IMG_5100.png

This JBD BMS from the UP series is designed for multiple battery packs. For example, you can switch two 16s battery packs in parallel. However, you need a BMS for each pack. The advantage is that the packs are balanced. The balancing current for this BMS is max. 20A. This is already very high for a 16s battery.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240507_203812_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    Screenshot_20240507_203812_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 8
This JBD BMS from the UP series is designed for multiple battery packs. For example, you can switch two 16s battery packs in parallel. However, you need a BMS for each pack. The advantage is that the packs are balanced. The balancing current for this BMS is max. 20A. This is already very high for a 16s battery.
I think I saw these. Seem very expensive. I don’t require balancing really. Certainly not such high current.

Is it a good bms? If the components are better for parallel operation i could justify it.

The balancing of 20A refers to the balance between the 48v battery packs. It is not the balancing between the cells in one of the 48v packs. This BMS board also has the cell balance of 50mA, but can also be switched off if you want to use an external balancer for cell balancing.

Is it a good bms? If the components are better for parallel operation i could justify it.
You might consider this JK Inverter BMS which seems to be very popular and directly compatible with many inverter protocols.
If you rather want to go for the less expensive BMSs, look at these JK BMSs.
Cell balancing current on JK BMSs are generally higher than on the JBD BMS.

Sie könnten dieses JK Inverter BMS in Betracht ziehen , das sehr beliebt zu sein scheint und direkt mit vielen Wechselrichterprotokollen kompatibel ist.
Wenn Sie sich lieber für die günstigeren BMS entscheiden möchten, schauen Sie sich diese JK-BMS an .
Der Zellausgleichsstrom ist bei JK-BMS im Allgemeinen höher als beim JBD-BMS.
I think JK and JBD are equally good. The cell balancing current is a little higher with JK, but the parallel pack current is higher with JBD. I switched off balancing with JBD because I treated myself to an external balancer with 5A balancing current. This balances not only at the end of the charge but always and at all times.

Last edited:
You might consider this JK Inverter BMS which seems to be very popular and directly compatible with many inverter protocols.
If you rather want to go for the less expensive BMSs, look at these JK BMSs.
Cell balancing current on JK BMSs are generally higher than on the JBD BMS.
Yeah I’m using a JK BMS now. I do prefer the JBD bms and rarely use the balancing.
Are they definitely OK in parallel?

Back