diy solar

diy solar

2024 YouTube Video Ideas

Will, Would love to see some ideals on Solar ground mount Systems. I have been considering just doing a wood mount because I have 30
Solarever 455 watt that are huge and heavy. Most of the mounts I have seen are sketchy regarding wind loads and the cost is insanely expensive.

I'd like to see a separate channel involving your thoughts on lifestyle, investing, economics, guns, fitness, and politics (the horror!). Those topics can be risky on Youtube, but you've very delicately touched on similar subjects, and I always wished I could hear more.

When I was starting out, I wish I had come across a video of various scenarios.
"If you just want a small simple system, you might do something like this"
"But, if you need more power, something like this"
"And if you want to be self sufficient or totally off grid, you will need something like this."

Last edited:
You've done a great job reviewing hybrid inverters. Maybe an entire video series on various ways they can be used, since they are so versatile.

Dedicate each video to a particular scenario. Ie,

1) Using it UPS style with a critical loads panel, where it keeps batteries to 100% SOC, and sells the rest to the grid
2) traditional "partial home" backup. powering a critical loads panel, charging batteries daily, and using them to power the loads overnight.
2a) Same as above, but not grid input. ie, partial offgrid for the critical/sensitive stuff
3) whole home backup (with grid), charging batteries daily via solar
3a) same as above, but with grid charging the batteries
3b) similar, but fully offgrid
3c) similar, but TOU shifting, charging batteries from grid/solar, and powering the home during peak times.
etc etc etc

The hybrids are SO flexible, that I feel like all of the options can be confusing/overwhelming for the newcomer. I'd personally do a dedicated video per scenario, and cover things like pros/cons, wiring, features to look for that would enhance or improve that use-case etc. But the best part is, most of these can be inverter or brand agnostic. Most hybrids on the market now have VERY similar feature sets.. so it doesn't need to be any one particular inverter. the viewer can decide which *scenario* makes the most sense for their use-case, and then figure out which inverters may be best suited for that based on your "inverter features" recommendations.

Just my 2 cents.

Small "hobby" off-grid systems for people who want to learn and demystify the subject without spending a lot. To include a monitoring display to see what's going on.
Small solar for wired Yard lights.
Small systems using cordless tool batteries (DeWalt, Ryobi, etc)
Or some combination of the above,

Probably not really feasible, but I'd like to see off-grid set-ups from around the world, where they all have their unique challenges and solutions.
I saw a few Victron videos on youtube that were of this theme. I thought it was very interesting. One video I remember was of a commercial saw mill running on solar and batteries. It was in the UK I think.

LiPo conversions for UPSs that is a popular subject and will make good clickbait. Get an oscilloscope and to confirm the waveforms of the ones that are good, and the ones that stink (too many people converting stinkers). Emphasis on 48V UPSs that can be repurposed into quality, cheap, extended run, low-frequency inverters.

Attachments

• ups.jpg
    ups.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 17
Back