diy solar

diy solar

24 volt freezer setup

I am looking to set up a 24 volt freezer from SunDanzer https://sundanzer.com/product/dcr225-dcf225/

Some of the specs are
Average Energy Use: DCF225 Freezer-532 Watt-hrs/day at 32°C
44 Amp-hrs/day at 12V, 32°C

What size battery/solar array would be suggested for powering this while

Is this the only load?
How many days do you want it to run without sun?
What is your ~ longitude and latitude so that we can get some idea of how much sun you can expect?

That was a snippet from the specification page and that's about all I know for the load. I had included the link also. Information about where I am is San Antonio are: 29°25'26.83"N, 98°29'37.07"W. We have plenty of sun here in Texas. I would expect a couple of days at the most where there would be nothing but battery powered.

That was a snippet from the specification page and that's about all I know for the load. I had included the link also. Information about where I am is San Antonio are: 29°25'26.83"N, 98°29'37.07"W. We have plenty of sun here in Texas. I would expect a couple of days at the most where there would be nothing but battery powered.

I think he means is there any other device you want to power with your solar set up? Besides just the freezer.

I think he means is there any other device you want to power with your solar set up? Besides just the freezer.
Ahhh yeah, duh.. At the moment I do not have any other items to power with this system. However, I would like the ability to be able to expand when and if necessary.

thanks for the clarification.

Ok, for just the freezer and assuming the same efficiency at 24 volts of 532wh per day.
The freezer runs on both 12 and 24 volts.
Do you require a 24 volt system or will a 12 volt system suffice.
I going to assume you require a 24 volt system because you mentioned that the freezer is 24 volt capable.
A fully charged 50ah@24volt drop in lifepo4 battery will get you almost 2 days and cost about $1000.00USD.
25.6 nominal volts * 50 amp hours * 0.8 depth of discharge = 1024 usable watt hours.
1024 usable watt hours / 532 watt hours = 1.92481203 days.
To recharge your battery every day you need to harvest ~1024 watt hours in ~5 hours each day which is about 205 watts per hour.
If you get 2 days without sun your are out of luck, this is usually referred to as days of autonomy.
I think of it as days before generator.
I will leave the solar panel details to someone else because I don't know that part.

Does this make sense?

Last edited:
3000 watt hours of battery capacity / 0.8 max depth of discharge = 2400 watt hours
2400 watt hours / 532 watt_hours_per_day = ~4.5 days before generator

I'm sceptical of the provenance of that all in one unit.
MPP units are generally considered to be good for the price but noisy and they have a high idle consumption.
Now that you know its an MPP you can research it better.
Maybe you knew that already.

tl;dr
Check with MPP solar before you buy that all in one unit to make sure they are a licenced distributer/manufacturer - MPP solar
You would get ~4.5 days before generator with that battery and just that fridge.
Can you let us know what you find.

Last edited:
Back