diy solar

diy solar

24 volt inverter recommendations?

Glots222

Looking for new 24 volt inverter. 2000 watt.
Presently looking at the Giandel.
Any recommendations?
Also I could swear I have seen a combo 12v/24v inverter somewhere but can’t find anything.

Any recommendations?
Also I could swear I have seen a combo 12v/24v inverter somewhere but can’t find anything.

What is the application and requirements? Where came the decision to use a 24v battery voltage? Will there be need or desire for possible future expansion (system that can potentially scale-out in future if needed).

What is the application and requirements? Where came the decision to use a 24v battery voltage? Will there be need or desire for possible future expansion (system that can potentially scale-out in future if needed).
The application & requirement is when the power goes out I have backup available.
Presently have a 12v AGM system/battery bank.
Making another with Lifepo4. These are farther away from inverter so going with 24 volts.
Also still learning & playing and wanted to try 24. If theres any issues it can be rewired to 12v. In fact existing 12v could be rewired to 24v.
This is the future “expansion”. Anything else that I would add would just be more batteries.

Any recommendations?
If you are looking for a reliable and efficient 2000 watt 24 volt inverter, any of the brands and models I mentioned above would be a good choice. If you need an inverter that can be used with either 12V or 24V battery banks, then a combo 12V/24V inverter may be a good option for you.

The application & requirement is when the power goes out I have backup available.
Presently have a 12v AGM system/battery bank.
Making another with Lifepo4. These are farther away from inverter so going with 24 volts.
Also still learning & playing and wanted to try 24. If theres any issues it can be rewired to 12v. In fact existing 12v could be rewired to 24v.
This is the future “expansion”. Anything else that I would add would just be more batteries.

Based on my personal opinion, to help avoid you from locking yourself into a corner, I would head straight to 48v. Start with four 12v batteries. Can run smaller cables with higher battery voltage. There are even affordable options like a 3000EHV-48 for example that are scaleable (offer parallel stacking up to 12 wide), so you can easily expand later.

Again it's just my opinion, but going with 12v or 24v in a house can lead to a pile of old hardware sitting there that is unable to move beyond a certain practical limit.

Unless you knew that maybe later, you may use all the stuff for some other outbuilding or greenhouse project later, and build a new system for the house (or can sell it in classifieds), but just to understand that these are common mistakes often made by many new learners, is buying equipment that can't grow with them, hits hard limits.

The heart of the system is the inverter (if it's an all-in-one style), so picking one of highest battery voltage, and stackable, can mean you can grow to a much larger scale if needed later.

Do you want to start a motor load like a freezer? Do you want it to run off batteries without to much parasitic draw? What is the budget?

I really like the small Victron Phoenix inverters but they top out around 1200w. They are priced well and efficient. They can handle some surge and not much idle current.

Hard to give a good recommendation without specific goals/budget. There are allot of high frequency options but it can be tricky starting bigger loads in that watt range.

My system is 24v. Looking at tweaking my system, and am in analysis paralysis, debating whether I want to burn any more $$$$ on the 24v system, or use what I have as is, and focus on putting that $$$$ towards upgrading to 48v. It'll require new batteries and inverters, basically the core of the system will have to be repurchased.

I am *really* regretting not going 48v from the very beginning. It would have cost me less $$$$ for a much more capable and future proof system.

So that would be my advice. Go straight to 48v, don't make the same mistake I did.

Last edited:
I have been at this tech for a number of years and have never ever seen a Multi Voltage inverter. Simply put it would be somewhat insane to attempt to build one. It's more than likely you have seen Solar Charge Controllers where many will actually auto switch to 12,24, 48 Battery Banks.

12V @ 250A max pull will provide you with 3000W, where 24V @ 250 Max will give you 6000W capability (excluding surge handling)

Inverter/Chargers vary in quality, performance & efficiency, regardless of which voltage you choose. For example, a Value Brand (cheapo) Inverter may use 18-20W just idling (no draw) and be 80% efficient or you can buy a Tier-1 product that uses 8W idle and is 97% efficient but of course, there is a Cost difference & it can be significant if you want addition features & functions. The old rule that your Budget will affect your choices always stands true. Well, unless you have a bottomless wallet that is "unobtainium" these days.

Do note that there is big differences between Low Frequency & High Frequency Inverters, for power efficiency and device handling. Motors (fridge/freezer/AC etc) have a hard start surge for the most part unless they are soft-start devices. HF Inverters have a considerably harder time with these and can only support 2X surge handling. Low Frequency with big heavy Torodial Coild have 3X Surge handling and are built to handle the big & nasties with little issue. Many of the higher end Low-Frequency Inverters are above 95% Efficiency ratings, while "few" HF are as efficient. (Note that is a Hot Topic that draws a pile of phooey from some).

Here is a Tier-1 Top Quality Inverter/Charger with 96% Efficiency, dual AC Inputs (Grid/Genset), built-in ATS (Auto Transfer Switches) and more but these are "premium".

FYI: AIO's (All In Ones) which incorporate the Solar Controller(s), INverter & Charger are certainly a Good Deal BUT there are tradeoffs ! They are generally not more than 90% Efficient (depending on tier) and their solar controllers can be tricky and more often then not they are not as good as component based systems. Componnet Based meaning separate devices which also allow much more flexibilty to changes & updates etc.

Hope it helps, Good Luck.

My system is 24v. Looking at tweaking my system, and am in analysis paralysis, debating whether I want to burn any more $$$$ on the 24v system, or use what I have as is, and focus on putting that $$$$ towards upgrading to 48v. It'll require new batteries and inverters, basically the core of the system will have to be repurchased.

I am *really* regretting not going 48v from the very beginning. It would have cost me less $$$$ for a much more capable and future proof system.

So that would be my advice. Go straight to 48v, don't make the same mistake I did.
Some day folks will be saying, "wish I had gone strait to 96v, wasted so much money on this 48v stuff"

I run a house off of a 12v system. I vacuum, AC,1800w oven, heat water, etc.....It works fine, no one has died yet. I also have a second 24v that runs my well(1000watts - soft start) and extra A/C. It works fine. Just have to scale down your life style. Yes, I don't have a hot tub, sucks but that is life off grid. 48v was not in play when my inverters where acquired. 24v wasn't very common either back then.

With that said, everything I buy going forward will be 48v.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. 48v seems to be the way to go if you can.
One reason I’m doing this is I had an extra controller.
It’s a Renogy 40 amp. It handles 12v & 24v.
Would have to buy another controller for 48v.
Renogy has a 48v 3500watt inverter with controller regular price is around $1000. On Amazon now for $538.
Also $340 off on their web site. Looks interesting but suspicious of the price drop. Discontinued, new model coming out?
Going to do some research on this.
I’m deep enough into this with parts I think I’m staying at 24v for now but going to check out the Renogy unit.
About the price of an inverter and has controller built in so wouldn’t have to buy another one.

I am also in the process of getting a 24V inverter. I tried the low ball LCYMW 3000W 24V inverter ($259.99) and of course you get what you pay for. Supposedly it has a 6000W surge but it still couldn't start my pressure washer which has a 4,800W surge on startup (runs at 1,800W). You may not have the same power needs but be sure whatever you get, you can return it without a hassle. I'm sending back the LCYMW and ordered a Wagan from donrowe.com. I expect this will perform a lot better but it was over $400.

Incidentally, the reason I went with 24V was because of my limited PV voltage. I can't get over 60V from my panels so it was safer to stay lower on the battery to ensure I can charge it.

Back