diy solar

diy solar

24v array to charge a 12v battery

IHaveThePower

Seeking wisdom: Can a renogy rover 30a mppt take an input of 24v panels and charge a 12v battery or does the string voltage need to match the battery nominal?

Pretty sure the classic 150 can charge a 12v battery from 24v array, but not sure about the rover and can't seem to find an answer

The details
I have two mppt charge controllers and I've just bought a string of new panels and I'm trying to figure out if I can to make use of them using my current gear.

Currently I have a midnite classic 150 being fed by 3 candian solar panels in series. 340w each, charging 24v 2s2p lithiums 400ah total

And another setup I have a renogy rover 30a being fed by 4 renogy 100w panels in parallel charging a 100ah lithium

I just bought 5 Longi 375w panels and am trying to decide if I should shift around my current setup to use the 5 longi with the classic 150

And shift the 3 (or 2 of 3) canadian solar to the rover.

any suggestions on how to best use these strings with what I have.
I dont might buying new equipment but wondering if I can use what I have.

The longi specs are
LR4-60HPH-375M
Pmax 375w
Vmp 34.6v
Imp 10.84a
VOC 41.1v
Lsc 11.60a
~I have 5 of these

The Canadian solar specs are
CS1H-340MS
Pmax 340w
Vmp 37.8v
Imp 9a
VOC 44.5v
Lsc 9.76a
~I have 3 of these

The classic 150 specs
150v operating
96a max current out

The rover specs
Max panel voc 90-100v
Max power pv 400w/12v 800w/24v
Charging current 30a

Seeking wisdom: Can a renogy rover 30a mppt take an input of 24v panels and charge a 12v battery or does the string voltage need to match the battery nominal?

Short answer: Yes.

Back in the old days when people put panels directly to the lead acid batteries, the voltage coming from the batteries needed to match the batteries so you had '12V' panels and '24V' panels. We then advanced to putting PWM controllers between the panels and the battery. A PWM is just a switch that quickly turns on and off as a way to control the total energy going to the battery. This is great, but while the PWM is in the 'on' state, the voltage from the panels had to match the batteries.

The advent of MPPT changed everything. The MPPT is a DC-DC converter that will transform the voltage and current to what the battery needs. This broke the linkage between panel voltage and battery voltage. Now the only linkage is that the panel voltage needs to be greater than the battery voltage. How much above battery voltage varies. For smaller stand-alone MPPT controllers, it is usually 1-4V above the battery voltage.
On some of the larger MPPTs there is a high operating voltage that must be met before they turn on.

Note: Theoretically, an MPPT could be designed to be a boost converter and use PV voltages that are lower than battery voltages. However, this would be expensive to do and would only address a very niche market.

Thanks Filterguy
I understood it was OK with high end charge controllers
Just wasn't sure if that was the case for any mppt charger.
I appreciate the feedback

Back