diy solar

diy solar

26 New 550 Watt Bi-Facial Bluesun Central Texas (Sold)

Fearless

Sold
I bought 62 - 550 Watt (34KW) bi-facial solar panels (https://www.bluesunpv.com/.../dow.../BSM550M10-72HBD-USA.pdf)
Now I found out that College Station limits solar systems to 20kw. Unless I find out differently, I have 26 of these for sale for $185/each. That is an unheard of 34 cents/watt and if you ground mount or tilt on the roof you will get extra wattage from the bottom side solar cells. Local pick-up only.

If anyone in the College Station, TX area has more info about the College Station solar rules please chime in.

360069363_6837773822947782_3975176484888944022_n.jpg

Last edited:
I bought 62 - 550 Watt (34KW) bi-facial solar panels (https://www.bluesunpv.com/.../dow.../BSM550M10-72HBD-USA.pdf)
Now I found out that College Station limits solar systems to 20kw. Unless I find out differently, I have 26 of these for sale for $185/each. That is an unheard of 34 cents/watt and if you ground mount or tilt on the roof you will get extra wattage from the bottom side solar cells. Local pick-up only.

If anyone in the College Station, TX area has more info about the College Station solar rules please chime in.

View attachment 171142
Good price just too far to drive for me.

Sorry for your predicament, I’d love a dozen or so of these, but as other posters have also indicated the drive is just too much for pickup.

Good luck with them.

I just looked up their requirements- it's horrible

1. an interconnection agreement is required
2. It's a buy all sell all arrangement-you don't even get to use your own solar. They pay .054 for all your production
3. I didn't see the 20kw limit but I believe op.

I would be looking for a way to fight this. Can you do an off grid system where you don't interconnect with them? I don't know if the city can legally even require interconnection

I just looked up their requirements- it's horrible

1. an interconnection agreement is required
2. It's a buy all sell all arrangement-you don't even get to use your own solar. They pay .054 for all your production
3. I didn't see the 20kw limit but I believe op.

I would be looking for a way to fight this. Can you do an off grid system where you don't interconnect with them? I don't know if the city can legally even require interconnection
A local installer told me that even if I went off-grid I would still be stuck with the 20kw max. The 20kw max is at the top of the agreement. "This Agreement is non-transferable and is applicable to conditions under which the COCS and the Customer agree that one or more facility or facilities of twenty (20) kW or less to be interconnected at 15 kV or less (“Facility” or “Facilities”) may be interconnected to the COCS utility system (“Electric Utility System), as described in Exhibit A."

may be interconnected to the COCS utility system (“Electric Utility System), as described in Exhibit A."
So if you don't interconnect to their system then there is no such limitation. So now you just have to find out how to do the system without interconnecting. They say you must interconnect but I would email them to find out.

Also, once you have a permit, would it be possible to have a small interconnected system and then do your real system, not connected, without needing a new permit.

There has to be a way because their rules are Bs and I don't even think would hold up if challenged

Funny, their site says:

Can I go off grid with solar?

"Yes, it is possible, but not likely. At a minimum, going off-grid typically requires battery storage, which will significantly increase the upfront cost of the solar system."

So maybe ask them about going off grid and see what they say

Something else

"COCS Authority. COCS shall not be obligated to accept or pay for produced energy from a Facility
larger than 20 kW unless a separate agreement has been entered into between the Customer and
COCS. At any time, COCS may require the Customer to interrupt or reduce deliveries of available
energy in the following instances:"

Will they let you do greater than 20kw as long as you agree not to be paid for any export?

"9. Disconnection of Facility or Unit.
a. Customer retains the option to disconnect from COCS’ Electric Utility System. Customer will notify
COCS of its intent to disconnect by giving the COCS at least thirty (30) days prior written notice.
Such disconnection shall not be a termination of this Agreement unless Customer exercises rights
under Section 10."

Last edited:
Funny, their site says:

Can I go off grid with solar?

"Yes, it is possible, but not likely. At a minimum, going off-grid typically requires battery storage, which will significantly increase the upfront cost of the solar system."

So maybe ask them about going off grid and see what they say

Something else

"COCS Authority. COCS shall not be obligated to accept or pay for produced energy from a Facility
larger than 20 kW unless a separate agreement has been entered into between the Customer and
COCS. At any time, COCS may require the Customer to interrupt or reduce deliveries of available
energy in the following instances:"

Will they let you do greater than 20kw as long as you agree not to be paid for any export?

"9. Disconnection of Facility or Unit.
a. Customer retains the option to disconnect from COCS’ Electric Utility System. Customer will notify
COCS of its intent to disconnect by giving the COCS at least thirty (30) days prior written notice.
Such disconnection shall not be a termination of this Agreement unless Customer exercises rights
under Section 10."
Sure seems like off-grid is in my future. I sent an email to the city yesterday and included that part of their website with Q & A on off-grid.

Sure seems like off-grid is in my future. I sent an email to the city yesterday and included that part of their website with Q & A on off-grid.
Especially with their crappy buy all sell all dual meter shenanigans

Back