diy solar

diy solar

3 phase to a 2 Phase Eg4 18kpv Inverter

FullNuke

Hello! I am in the process of hooking my 2 phase inverter; however I just noticed that I have a 3 phase system coming in from my utility provider.

We do not use that much power; we only have 6 mini splits (only cooling); one electric oven and 2 small tankless hot water heater; and a pool motor on timer. We are not here most of the time either it’s a vacation home.

I was wondering if we can combine 2 of the least used phases with one grid input and the other phase with the other grid input?

Then send it back 2 lines with 1 load and the other one with 1 line with the other load?

Hope this is possible.

There's no such thing as 2 phase.
You either have single phase, 3 phase, or split phase.
The EG4 18kpv is a split-phase hybrid AIO.
If your service is 120v/208v 3 phase. You can connect the 18kpv to one of the phases.
You can not combine phases, in any way.

There's no such thing as 2 phase.
You either have single phase, 3 phase, or split phase.
The EG4 18kpv is a split-phase hybrid AIO.
If your service is 120v/208v 3 phase. You can connect the 18kpv to one of the phases.
You can not combine phases, in any way.
Here are some pictures of what my box looks like. I have 3 wires coming in to the house from my utility company. How would you run the 3 wires to EG product?

The indoor unit has a 3 pole breaker to power the home and the apartment.

I would like ti connect the exterior utility company wire to the EG and then back to the exterior box.

Attachments

• 554DFE14-1A96-4C75-B0EA-B1B2A2AA485D.jpeg
    554DFE14-1A96-4C75-B0EA-B1B2A2AA485D.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 740E8045-6F47-4908-A8F2-EBCE146BD32E.jpeg
    740E8045-6F47-4908-A8F2-EBCE146BD32E.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 36
  • F093E4A3-36CC-4117-BCA3-F0958BA5C9B6.jpeg
    F093E4A3-36CC-4117-BCA3-F0958BA5C9B6.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 36
Here are some pictures of what my box looks like. I have 3 wires coming in to the house from my utility company. How would you run the 3 wires to EG product?

The indoor unit has a 3 pole breaker to power the home and the apartment.

I would like ti connect the exterior utility company wire to the EG and then back to the exterior box.
Just guessing from the colors of the wires.
And the type of distribution equipment. (Looks like a European Consumer unit)
It doesn't appear that you are in North America.
The 18kpv is a North American hybrid AIO.
It's not compatible with other electrical system types.

Hello! I am in the process of hooking my 2 phase inverter; however I just noticed that I have a 3 phase system coming in from my utility provider
What voltage comes out of your outlets, 230VAC or 110/120 VAC?
Do they look like north american outlets? or something else?

Last edited:
What voltage comes out of your outlets, 230VAC or 110/120 VAC?
Do they look like north american outlets? or something else?
I am in st marteen but it’s all 110_120; I’m on the Dutch side and my outlets are American outlets. On the French side it’s European.

That’s why I don’t think it’s a problem

I am in st marteen but it’s all 110_120; I’m on the Dutch side and my outlets are American outlets. On the French side it’s European.

That’s why I don’t think it’s a problem
What's the voltage between two legs of the 3-phase?

Actually
Need all voltages.
Between all legs and each leg to neutral.
I’ll test that tomorrow with my electrician. Just getting more information before he comes… does everything have to be on in the property or are you looking for what’s coming in from the utility?

What’s max reading on one leg?

I am in st marteen but it’s all 110_120
Looks like 110V (according to web), so if you have three phase it will be 190V from phase to phase.
Lowest operating voltage on the 18kPV is 180V, so I guess it could work with L1 and L2, ignore L3.

Looks like 110V (according to web), so if you have three phase it will be 190V from phase to phase.
Lowest operating voltage on the 18kPV is 180V, so I guess it could work with L1 and L2, ignore L3.
Agreed but would you combine L2 and L3? Or do you think L1 and L2 will do the whole house and just ignore L3?

I would just keep L3 intact from the utility and not route it to the EG?

I’ll test that tomorrow with my electrician. Just getting more information before he comes… does everything have to be on in the property or are you looking for what’s coming in from the utility?

What’s max reading on one leg?
Coming from utility.

I would just keep L3 intact from the utility and not route it to the EG?
hard to know what is best, depends on how your loads are distributed
I don’t see a way to use all three phases with the 18kPV, one of them has to be left out or just use the utility power on it
presumably, you don’t have any true three-phase loads (motors maybe?)

Also, we need to verify that the 18kPV can use two phases that are 120 degrees apart.

Just need to know what utility system it is.
It could have a wild leg. And this will determine how you can use it.

see the note about generator input not working with 208V.

IMG_6627.jpegThe 18kPV manual is not really clear.
Sounds like it will work with 120/208V, see the grid type menu above.

Back