diy solar

diy solar

3D printed Deye 5kw Hybrid Fan Unit - SUN-3.6/5/6K-SG03LP1-EU

Those graphs are cool! Which app you using? Solarman Smart? I cant seem to get those parameters like you have
It is Solarman smart
First press Check the plant/Device/Inverter/Statistics.
In Statistics press the blue and then you will see Parameter Selection.Press it and choose what Parameters you want to see .Big choice.....

It is Solarman smart
First press Check the plant/Device/Inverter/Statistics.
In Statistics press the blue and then you will see Parameter Selection.Press it and choose what Parameters you want to see .Big choice.....
Whoa!! Thats sure is loads of data. Thanks!

really deye inverters needs cooling fans?
"Need"... well it depends on how long you want them to last. I want to get the absolute most I can out of my purchase, so i will increase longevity with fans.
The 5k units do not have external cooling & do get very warm when external temperatures are in the 30's

Copec stated in another thread.
FWIW I was told that Deye (or Sol-Ark engineers, I dunno) was going for what SMA found: To keep the inverter internals in a consistent temperature dust-free environment, as it makes for the longest life of components to not be heat cycled. I've noticed it keeps its internal "AC Temperature" and "DC Temperature" readings in between 50-60C. It turns off the fans below 50C and they ramp up to full power at 60C. So unless you figure out a quieter solution that also keeps it in a tight temperature range, I would try to limit the noise by putting it someplace where you can't hear it. I found when I put a heat pump in my garage (after insulating the doors and one of the walls) and set it to keep the garage at 75F, the fans almost never kick on in that temperature anyways.

So I guess if this is accurate you would need to monitor your inverter temps to see if additional cooling was indeed required to prevent exceeding the above range.

Kid

I’ve never seen mine get that hot, but my garage never gets above ~90F or ~32C. The AC runs when the output is high and the battery is >90%, that's why it curves down in the afternoon. This was on the hottest day of the year:
inverter_temp.png
I think I might work out a custom temperature control with fans to keep it at a lower consistent temperature. It would be nice if it had an option in the firmware to set desired temp.

Last edited:
How are you pulling that data to make the graph? I have SA but don't think it will do that. I can only see inverter temp in the charts section and it doesn't break it down to ac and dc.

Kid

How are you pulling that data to make the graph? I have SA but don't think it will do that. I can only see inverter temp in the charts section and it doesn't break it down to ac and dc.

Kid
I’m still shipping my data to China in SOLARMAN with the dongle. I have a pi and a cable sitting, I’ll eventually work out interfacing with it myself or setup SA

Screenshots with Solarman Smart app showing temperature going up to 81 celsius.After cooling with external fan i managed temperatures around max 60 celsius.
I know several guys with 5kw Deye Hybrids by now.Some seem to have noisy built-in vents,some like mine dont.Still a miracle....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221224-085034.png
    Screenshot_20221224-085034.png
    156 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_2022-12-24-09-05-11-707_com.igen.xiaomaizhidian.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-24-09-05-11-707_com.igen.xiaomaizhidian.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Screenshots with Solarman Smart app showing temperature going up to 81 celsius.After cooling with external fan i managed temperatures around max 60 celsius.
I know several guys with 5kw Deye Hybrids by now.Some seem to have noisy built-in vents,some like mine dont.Still a miracle....
What is your cooling fan setup?

This is interesting... I'll def look into getting a fan attached to mine with some sort of temperature control

UPDATE!!!
I have 2 units in parallel - sharing the load equally, one fan unit had fly screen & a little dust - the other nothing.
56 & 41deg Celsius on the unit with fly screen
50 & 38deg Celsius on the unit without fly screen & there was noticeably more air flow out the top.
(compared with 65 & 47 without fans the day before with same temps & conditions)
So dont add any fly screen or anything else to reduce the flow - it makes a significant difference.

Side by side without cooling fans on the left & with cooling fans on the right... 2 days apart, same ambient temps, same loads....

10deg difference on the DC
6deg difference on the AC

I guess I just doubled the life of my inverter!

1672810516668.png

Side by side without cooling fans on the left & with cooling fans on the right... 2 days apart, same ambient temps, same loads....

10deg difference on the DC
6deg difference on the AC

I guess I just doubled the life of my inverter!

View attachment 127880
lol I copied your idea. Bought 2 Noctua's from PC case gear and screws from bunnings. Sent your design to 3D print. Will post pictures when I get it installed. This is mine right now with no fans,

1672811112373.png

lol I copied your idea. Bought 2 Noctua's from PC case gear and screws from bunnings. Sent your design to 3D print. Will post pictures when I get it installed. This is mine right now with no fans,
You know i charge royalties on the design right?
$0.05 per fan per RPM :ROFLMAO:
74!!! ouch... I'm guessing thats when you hit fully charged on the battery & the temp mostly correlates to battery power?

For power I used a Vigortronix PCB module & kit - they're nice & small, quality.
I put it inside the inverter & hook it up to the "load" (i.e. always on) power - as i'll be using mine as UPS, I want it to always be on if there's any power.

1672813755363.png

You know i charge royalties on the design right?
$0.05 per fan per RPM :ROFLMAO:
74!!! ouch... I'm guessing thats when you hit fully charged on the battery & the temp mostly correlates to battery power?
Hahaa :) Yeah inverter hits ~75C around 11:30AM.
Thanks for your power supply suggestion. I'm using a 2A 12V CCTV camera power supply to power the big JK BMS LCD display and I will use that to power the fans as well.

Some more info & results....
I tried putting some additional fans at the top of the units (my existing fans were at the bottom pushing air upwards) & no real improvement.

My temps: 28deg day, 62 DC, 47 AC, with 2 units in parallel (so perfect testing conditions!) - running 2kw each charging the battery.
Been running for an hour with the additional fans & there's no difference between the 2 units.

Maybe if you *really* up the air flow - to the point where its howling a bit, it would have some impact.

Hi all.

I was having the same issue with the Deye 5K getting hot, I have Solar Assistant installed which told me the internal temp of the Deye was getting to 90c.
We live just north of Melbourne AU and unfortunately we get some really hot days, last summer we had a run of over 40c days.
My inverter is in an insulated shed with power ventilation but it was just so hot inside the shed so I came up with a fan forced cooler for the inverter.

I set up a 12v computer fan on a panel that I made, the other half of the panel is bug mesh.
I have the earth to the fan running through a 30c thermal switch to turn it on and off automatically, the switch is just jammed into the heat sink on the rear of the inverter.
The fan dropped the internal temp by about 20 degrees C.
You was my inspiration ?

Attachments

• IMG_4054.jpeg
    IMG_4054.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 43
Back