diy solar

diy solar

4 X class solar flares to impact this weekend.

The lines need a DC path to ground, to prevent the atmosphere's about 100v/meter vertical field from charging up the lines, as they run over hills or higher, to voltages that would arc over and damage equipment. So to a first approximation the typical long-haul transmission line is fed by three transformers in a Y configuration, with the center joint grounded. You have to ground it at both/all ends, so you don't have it "floating" when the breakers are open. So the three wires as a group act like a single long wire (see "phantom circuit") and the connection to the local ground at the ends completes the circuit.

Are you saying that transformers for high voltage transmission use Y configuration for both the secondary step-up driving the line and primary of step-down being driven? Unlike Y secondary and Delta primary for most low-voltage applications? Because it needs to drain off high voltage low current which is developed, to avoid breakdown of insulation?

The solution is to put something in those connections between the Y center and the local ground. A resistor to limit DC / low-frequency induced currents, maybe bypassed with a big capacitor to keep things running smoothly when the phases aren't balanced or one line has a fault, a current detector that fast-trips the disconnect, etc. These are big and pricey.

Seems to me a resistor would either allow the current anyway, or limit current but allow excessive voltage. So disconnect would be the only way.

by the time we get a really bad mag storm or carrington event we might just have things fixed up enough that it won't be such a big deal.

This is essentially what has been done here in the Nordics. The transformers are designed to be able to handle it. It helps that companies like ABB have their (engineering) home base here.

Saw some info that we will get hit with some more X class flares, so the forecast is another possible G5 storm today/tonight.

Went out last night to see if there were any more auroras, but nothing. It was also partly cloudy and a bit foggy so that didn't help. But we might see something tonight based on that forecast.

Here is one to get you started. Has interesting case studies of what went wrong in previous CME caused outages. "Geomagnetic Storms and Long-Term Impacts on Power Systems, PACIFIC NORTHWEST NATIONAL LABORATORY" .pdf link

Fairly readable.

"A scheme for blocking DC in transformer neutrals was developed, and a pilot was installed. However, the need for such a scheme may be diminished because Hydro-Québec also installed series compensation capacitors in most of the long lines in the 735-kV network."

Capacitors block DC. What voltage would develop across them, from the currents developed by geomagnetic storm? Can they handle that without failing?

Those are some pretty d*mn big capacitors, able to store the transmitted power for a phase. Although, series connected they are allowed to have a large voltage swing, unlike decoupling on batteries which is limited to the voltage sag allowed by "stiff" power source represented by the batteries.

One solution would be to run L1, L2, L3, N all as "twisted" wires on the poles, rather than having Earth as return. The utilities would NOT like the cost of that added wire. It's current would be quite small, and it would not even need insulators. But it needs to be positioned within the Delta of the other three.

I think that is "Star-quad" as mentioned in other papers.

Are you saying that transformers for high voltage transmission use Y configuration for both the secondary step-up driving the line and primary of step-down being driven? Unlike Y secondary and Delta primary for most low-voltage applications? Because it needs to drain off high voltage low current which is developed, to avoid breakdown of insulation?

That's my understanding, yes.

Seems to me a resistor would either allow the current anyway, or limit current but allow excessive voltage. So disconnect would be the only way.

Typical transmission lines run AC currents per-phase-conductor in the 750A ballpark during normal operation and the largest ones are rated a bit over 4,000A. The DC drift to hysterical voltages of elevated wires with no DC path to ground due to the atmospheric vertical field is driven by leakage from the upper-air/ground capacitor, and the bulk of the charging of that, for the entire world, comes from electrical storms - at about an amp each and about 1,000 active at any time. (A tad more comes from solar winds and cosmic radiation.) A transmission line intercepts a minuscule fraction of that current - and one of them could handle most of it for the entire planet. The "charged by the atmosphere" effect is in the hours timescale.

A ground fault on one conductor would drive the other two to a somewhat higher voltage (sqrt(3), about 1.73, times normal) and unbalanced loads among the phases produce unequal voltage drops in the three conductors and drag the voltage distribution off-center - which is what bypassing a resistor with a big capacitor is about: The ground fault and drag-back-toward-centered currents are AC, so the capacitors can handle most of that. Arcs are intermittent, though, so the capacitance of the wires to ground and the bypass capacitor, if present, would acquire some DC charge - a fraction of the operating voltage - from an arc / ground fault, and the resistor would drain that. This would typically produce far more load on the resistor than the atmospheric currents.

Lightning strikes, lightning-induced surges, and other very high voltage events are handled by the lightning protection gadgetry. Though magnetic storms might induce, say, five volts per mile, transmission lines typically are under a thousand miles long and run at 138 to 765 kV (and occasionally more). So the induced voltage is at most a single-digit percentage of their operating voltage, far less than the boost on two of the phases from a ground fault on the third.

The problem is that the mag storm voltage persists for a long time - many cycles of the AC. So if nothing is done to limit it, the DC-component of currents in the transformer coils builds up, the core saturates, and then the current driven by the line power voltage goes sky-high and burns out the transformer.

Last edited:
The knowledge base of this forum’s membership is staggering. Way too much for my last two rubbing brain cells to fully comprehend. 😝 Still addictively interesting.

I love coming to the forum, because I get my daily dose of "THIS is the big thing that's gonna end humanity in a few days, no really THIS is the one this time, it's something nobody knows about, but trust me bro!"

Plain old news media fear mongering just doesn't do it for me anymore... I need my dose from Internet folks...
That's an interesting strawman you've conjured up there.

Most power transformers are delta high side wye low side, this way high side is balanced, and low side provides ground source for fault current.

This is essentially what has been done here in the Nordics. The transformers are designed to be able to handle it. It helps that companies like ABB have their (engineering) home base here.
*did have

From what ive experienced, they’ve taken a Boeing nose dive in the past 3 years.

Friday night around 45 parallel in western mountains of Maine looking due north, iPhone 14 camera on long shutter night mode way over exaggerated, first and last are more inline of what my eye actually saw.

I’d describe it as a strong dusk “glow” that hung around with some colors, I was take. Back by around 10pm streaks and bands running full south to north.

I didn’t see much action of dancing or defined bands of northern lights like I’ve seen in Iceland, but still pretty cool event, can’t wait till the next one, maybe in another few months.

These CME are cyclical, every what 7-12 years they all spike in periodicy.

Attachments

• IMG_3236.jpeg
    IMG_3236.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3229.jpeg
    IMG_3229.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3226.jpeg
    IMG_3226.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 6

That's just the 'Power Grids' JV with Hitachi. They still have their transformer business, and it's still top notch (at least here in the region). Hitachi also does its development and R&D here, and they're pretty good as far as I hear from the locals.

they are installing three 50mvar sync condensers in our area (old ABB facility, gotta be good, it’s from Sweden), and the amount of screw up’s is unbelievable.

They didn’t specify storage and environment controls of the rotating machine while waiting for delivery, so the stator has surface rust, the insulation needed to be “dried” out for 2 weeks in a makeshift “hot tent”. Maybe the issue is just state side support, or lack there of, but it leaves much to be desired for how the inservice life will be, let alone life after warranty is expired.

Time will tell.

Well I know all you Solar Storm rookies have put this one to bed and stopped following it but us Ham Operators follow solar storms every day of life.

So the event that gave all those people the Nice Auroras was an X2.8 Flare from AR3664.
A X5.8 Flare went off from AR3664 two days later and Impacted us on Monday but it was a Glancing blow so no big CME events.
Luckily we are out of rotational view of AR3664 because it just Went off again today and produced an X8.7 Flare.
I have no idea how big the CME is yet but if by some chance it was proportional to the Flare size and it if had happened 7 days earlier we would be looking at something very close to a Carrington Event which was estimated to be an X10 Flare. Luckily it will be skirting past the side of the Earth and will not be an issue.

Just something to think about as AR3664 will be rotating back into our direction in another 34 days.
Most likely weaker but who knows. We are in uncharted territory.

Back