diy solar

diy solar

4x100ah 48v lithium server rack batteries array size

belowfrigid

Will be replacing my FLA 430ah 48v bank. I live offgrid on the 36 latitude near the California coast. I have 12-320 watt panels in series of 3. We use 5-10 kwh per day. Do I have enough solar for 4-100ah 48v server rack batteries? I make it to 100% SOC almost every day with my 8-430ah 6 volt batteries. If I get a couple of rainy days I do have to run generator. 5 days this winter. Probably could get by with 3 batteries but would like not to have to run the generator.

We don't have to size arrays for batteries anymore like was true with lead acids. Lead acids need a sweet spot charging rate to keep them healthy but lithium is ok slow or fast.

So, it just depends on whether your array makes more than your 5-10kwh per day, which PV Watts can give you the best estimate on.

You will probably still have 3-5 generator days per year.

Edit: Oh and I should read gooder. You say you make it to 100% almost every day with lead acid. Then you should get the same result with Lithium or better. Lithium has a higher round trip efficiency, so less energy lost in the battery.

Back