diy solar

diy solar

5 minutes of boring video unless you're some kind of solar freak

Zwy

Emperor Of Solar
Something for solar freaks, it's part of a video I'm working on.

Took this on yesterday, December 29th, 2023 after 8 continuous days of no sun. 4240W per string, one string per each EG4 MPPT 100-48HV SCC's using JA Solar 530W panels in 8S strings.

Foggy in morning until 10 am, only 49.03Kwh for the day until sunset. There is some cloud edge effect, an hour later it was steady around 4Kw per string after the panels warmed up.

pretty nice to see full panel output. Not being familiar with all that fan noise, I found it noisy. lol

Anychance you feel like speaking in these videos? And what are you recording on?

pretty nice to see full panel output. Not being familiar with all that fan noise, I found it noisy. lol

Those fans ramp up to high speed when the power coming in is high. System is in my basement, the noise doesn't bother me. I was pretty close to the units.

Anychance you feel like speaking in these videos? And what are you recording on?
This video was part of a complete video coming soon. It will be much longer and not only will I speak but you get to see me in the videos, I have a few on Youtube. I use my phone mainly for recording. I just do these videos to show others how I did my system and how it performs. I'm not in this for monetization, no fancy cameras or production and videos are produced when I have some time. No affiliate links. Last video was 2 months ago.

It's always nice when you see your gear soaking up free energy.
What is interesting is another member here had a video about the EG4 MPPT's and he stated it quit working in the comments. I asked here in the forums what his specs for his system were and he would not respond. That tells me right there he did something on the install that caused the failure. Then another person commented the EG4 MPPT efficiency was not as good as a different MPPT. Mine had been installed for some time and I was seeing over 80 to 100% output. It makes me wonder if sometimes stories get made up to bash a product. He did 2 videos attempting to show the EG4 was not pulling in yield like other SCC's but when pressed about system specs he won't give it. And he turns the comments off for his videos. I also told him to come to this forum, give the specs and he can discuss system efficiency and what might be wrong with his system but he won't come here.

There is another member here claiming JA Solar panels do not put out close to full yield however that is not the case as shown in this video. With some cloud edge effect shown in the video, the JA Solar panels I am using put out more than rated power. Again, requests for system specs are not answered. I do have another video filmed about an hour later without clouds and warmer panels. SCC's are pulling right around 4Kw per string and that is from 4240W of panels. That is 94.3% efficiency.

My guesses for both cases are either they have a bad panel, high resistance somewhere in the system such as a connection or skimping on wire size instead of bumping up to the next size, running panels in parallel instead of running with series strings with string VOC as high as possible or shading issues. Could be a combination of any of those factors.

Most would rather complain about a product then determine why their setup doesn't perform as good as it should. If you ask questions, they ignore the questions.

What is interesting is another member here had a video about the EG4 MPPT's and he stated it quit working in the comments. I asked here in the forums what his specs for his system were and he would not respond. That tells me right there he did something on the install that caused the failure. Then another person commented the EG4 MPPT efficiency was not as good as a different MPPT. Mine had been installed for some time and I was seeing over 80 to 100% output. It makes me wonder if sometimes stories get made up to bash a product. He did 2 videos attempting to show the EG4 was not pulling in yield like other SCC's but when pressed about system specs he won't give it. And he turns the comments off for his videos. I also told him to come to this forum, give the specs and he can discuss system efficiency and what might be wrong with his system but he won't come here.

There is another member here claiming JA Solar panels do not put out close to full yield however that is not the case as shown in this video. With some cloud edge effect shown in the video, the JA Solar panels I am using put out more than rated power. Again, requests for system specs are not answered. I do have another video filmed about an hour later without clouds and warmer panels. SCC's are pulling right around 4Kw per string and that is from 4240W of panels. That is 94.3% efficiency.

My guesses for both cases are either they have a bad panel, high resistance somewhere in the system such as a connection or skimping on wire size instead of bumping up to the next size, running panels in parallel instead of running with series strings with string VOC as high as possible or shading issues. Could be a combination of any of those factors.

Most would rather complain about a product then determine why their setup doesn't perform as good as it should. If you ask questions, they ignore the questions.
Good points. I always assume I did something wrong and go from there. Triple check my stuff before making myself look foolish by blaming the equipment.

I watched your video. Well I did skip through some if it. ? Yep, it's boring, but proves your points on production.

Those fans ramp up to high speed when the power coming in is high. System is in my basement, the noise doesn't bother me. I was pretty close to the units.

This video was part of a complete video coming soon. It will be much longer and not only will I speak but you get to see me in the videos, I have a few on Youtube. I use my phone mainly for recording. I just do these videos to show others how I did my system and how it performs. I'm not in this for monetization, no fancy cameras or production and videos are produced when I have some time. No affiliate links. Last video was 2 months ago.
You got a new subscriber today, lol. I wish I had the gift to gab, not my cup of tea. That is why I only post pictures.

Good points. I always assume I did something wrong and go from there. Triple check my stuff before making myself look foolish by blaming the equipment.

If the equipment operates, it most likely isn't at fault. I do have the advantage of a pair so I can compare one to the other.

I watched your video. Well I did skip through some if it. ? Yep, it's boring, but proves your points on production.
It's boring but if you are some solar freak it helps. :ROFLMAO:

Back