diy solar

diy solar

6000ex/tp6048/lvx6048 vs 12000T DVM-MPV/M12048DUL

G00SE

There’s two O’s in G00SE
Piggybacking on a reply I made in a separate thread, I wanted to make a discussion comparing two somewhat similar options, and see people’s thoughts on which they’d choose and why

In the red corner we have: the EG4 6000ex/Sungoldpower tp6048/mpp lvx6048 featuring;
6000w split phase LF inverter (2-3k in one box I believe)
Built in 120a MPPT
7500w PV input
450v max PV input (500 for eg4 version)
Max input current, 27a
Stackable, up to 9 units
High Surge Capacity (12KW for 1 second)
Overload Protection (5s @ 150% | 10s @ 110% to 150% Load)
Price $1299

And in the blue corner: the Growatt 12000T/Sigineer 12048 (I can’t find a 250v input version of the Sungold only the 125) featuring;
12000w split phase LF inverter
Built in 120a MPPT
7000w PV input
250v max PV input
Not stackable
36kw surge capacity
Price $1999

So, if you had these two options. Which route are you taking? 2x 6048 with the ability to have twice the array, nearly twice the voltage, and potential load imbalance issues as well as parallel communication issues for ~$2600 OR 1x 12k with crippled PV wattage input but a reasonable voltage and a stellar surge capacity but no future expansion for ~$1999, and why?

Both options are budget split phase LF “AIO” systems with similar “smart” features that would seem better suited without grid connection, hence this sub forum choice. To compensate PV input capacity I could get the matching Growatt 48120 scc and slave it to the AIO inverter and double my array to theoretically have similar capacity in either system

Last edited:
Curious, Why low frequency?
3.7hp air compressor, hobart 200 inverter welder, 36k mini split, potential for numerous 1000-2000w loads to come on intermittently with a wife and kids home, power company is 3 miles away
Seems to be a reasonable way to have enough everyday power available and a bit of surge overhead for a momentary lapse in discipline ?

Seems the other options in a similar budget are the common HF 6848 varieties, also in parallel, I don’t really see a benefit of those vs these for my use case.
For the cost of a solark, I’d buy a schneider or a Rosie
The eg4 8k isn’t enough
Just seems everytime I try to narrow selections, I land somewhere around the two in the OP

Last edited:
My vote goes to the red corner 6048s / 6k.
Add redundancy to your list of positives.

Add idle consumption losses that add up on multiple cloudy days to your list of negatives for both.

I'm impressed with my 6048 for the cost, yea it has flickering light issues when the washer agitates and idle consumption is over 100 watts but I can't really complain for the price.

Knowing what I know after my addictions to solar and this forum I'd also add 2 6548s to your list of contenders as well as growatts with a transformer but you'll probably be above your price points above.

Edit to clarify the lvx/tp 6048s.

3.7hp air compressor, hobart 200 inverter welder, 36k mini split, potential for numerous 1000-2000w loads to come on intermittently with a wife and kids home, power company is 3 miles away
Seems to be a reasonable way to have enough everyday power available and a bit of surge overhead for a momentary lapse in discipline ?

Seems the other options in a similar budget are the common HF 6848 varieties, also in parallel, I don’t really see a benefit of those vs these for my use case.
For the cost of a solark, I’d buy a schneider or a Rosie
The eg4 8k isn’t enough
Just seems everytime I try to narrow selections, I land somewhere around the two in the OP
How often are you using the air compressor?

My vote goes to the red corner 6048s / 6k.
Add redundancy to your list of positives.

Add idle consumption losses that add up on multiple cloudy days to your list of negatives for both..

Knowing what I know after my addictions to solar and this forum I'd also add 2 6548s to your list of contenders as well as growatts with a transformer but you'll probably be above your price points above.

Edit to clarify the lvx/tp 6048s.
I keep waiting for you to buy another for your system to I can anxiously watch haha
On the idle consumption I have my doubts. The 450v 6048 seems to be worse than the original, and 2 of them may not be much less than 1 growatt. Thoughts?

Redundancy is a big plus! I even considered having a spare AIO in a box just in case

On your last point, I’ll bite:
Why? (2-6548s vs 2-6048s)

I keep waiting for you to buy another for your system to I can anxiously watch haha
On the idle consumption I have my doubts. The 450v 6048 seems to be worse than the original, and 2 of them may not be much less than 1 growatt. Thoughts?
My TP6048 was around 130w when I first commissioned the system.
I definitely noticed it over the winter with my small bank and array, 22kwh and 5.6kw.
Redundancy is a big plus! I even considered having a spare AIO in a box just in case

They are battle proven, handle a surge great and give you 4 mppt inputs.

2 saturdays a month
How about three lv6048s for 3k and you get 19500 watts of inverting power. You can turn off one when you're not using the air compressor , and, it gives you some redundancy?

The 6048 inverters seem to have a lot of issues.
The 12000T have a great output but are not so good for PV charging.
LV/SP6548 are great as long as you get the 250v PV versions.

How about three lv6048s for 3k and you get 19500 watts of inverting power. You can turn off one when you're not using the air compressor , and, it gives you some redundancy?
I do like that idea, I just haven’t seen many threads of people running that successfully.
Is there a general opinion that these are easier to work with and work around vs the Growatt?

I do like that idea, I just haven’t seen many threads of people running that successfully.
Is there a general opinion that these are easier to work with and work around vs the Growatt?
With the growatt you're going to need at least another scc as I don't believe you can run your whole home on 7500 watts of pv. So add another 400 for eg4 scc for another 5kw of pv.

With three lv6048s you are looking at up to 24kw of pv input

How about 3 growatt 5000s and a transformer? 15kw inverting at $2250 and $300 for transformer. 18kw pv

I’m not partial to either option, just want to reduce my odds of failure with whichever path
Your point about the SCC is accurate. That’s another 400 which puts the Growatt option at ~2400, so only a 200 dollar delta vs the parallel 6048s. Could run 12-14k of PV on either set up that way. Growatt I’d need to do strings of 4 strings 4s2p (VOC 200.8@-30c) and the 6048 pair could likely do 4 strings of 8s1p (401.6)

The 6048 inverters seem to have a lot of issues.
The 12000T have a great output but are not so good for PV charging.
LV/SP6548 are great as long as you get the 250v PV versions.
If I was to do the Growatt route, I’d slave the Growatt 48120 SCC which has matching twin MPPT to the 12k inverter. (250v, 3500w each input) and I’d run roughly 3k of panels to each input (would be 4 total)
As you say, I read mixed feelings about the 6048. Real love or hate.
It seems the Growatt folks may have some issues as well, some seem to work thru it and continue on their merry way.
But I also get the sense that despite that, more ppl seem to favor the 6048, I imagine for the ability to expand

Would be curious to hear a few others thoughts on the topic.
@timselectric @EastTexCowboy @OffGridForGood @Zwy @Hedges (sorry to tag you and drag you in here if you’ve already observed and chose to duck out of this one!)

After reading @MrM1 farm build it almost seems like my potential Growatt path would mirror parts of his design (take out the cargo trailer and replace with power house)

But now there’s people in a different thread discussing the utility of a 6048 in a portable form factor too so maybe I just need to buy 3 of those and use one for portable generator ?

I don't know about the Growatts etc.
I see there are 5kW inverters in the < $1000 price point, obviously attractive.
Able to power your loads and expansion capability meets your needs?

I considered putting a spare Sunny Island on my truck, but 140# is too much additional weight.

One of these inexpensive inverters would be a good fit. I happen to have an ancient 12V 2500W Statpower MSW, which is fine for tools with brush-type universal motors. Could power pipe threader and jackhammer, 120V 15A. Would fit behind seat, and could be powered from the 2x 12V AGM starter batteries. I would add lithium batteries in back, feed a DC/DC charger to keep starting battery charged. Has remote on/off switch so disable when lithium low, prevent draining battery.

An AIO with PV input would be good for truck mount. I'll need a separate SCC if I use the Statpower.

Would be curious to hear a few others thoughts on the topic.
@timselectric @EastTexCowboy @OffGridForGood @Zwy @Hedges (sorry to tag you and drag you in here if you’ve already observed and chose to duck out of this one!)

After reading @MrM1 farm build it almost seems like my potential Growatt path would mirror parts of his design (take out the cargo trailer and replace with power house)

But now there’s people in a different thread discussing the utility of a 6048 in a portable form factor too so maybe I just need to buy 3 of those and use one for portable generator ?
Not stackable and the 250v limit on PV input kills that option for me.

If I was to do the Growatt route, I’d slave the Growatt 48120 SCC

After watching the video MrM1 put out with that SCC, I wouldn't use one. First, the VOC rating is lower than the EG4 SCC, but the GW does have multiple MPPT's.

I have 2 of the EG4 SCC's, one has been working flawless, the other I need to finish the install.

which has matching twin MPPT to the 12k inverter. (250v, 3500w each input) and I’d run roughly 3k of panels to each input (would be 4 total)
As you say, I read mixed feelings about the 6048. Real love or hate.
It seems the Growatt folks may have some issues as well, some seem to work thru it and continue on their merry way.
But I also get the sense that despite that, more ppl seem to favor the 6048, I imagine for the ability to expand

Back