diy solar

diy solar

6000XP won't talk to EG4-LL

Inverter should be set to 0, battery should be set to LUX

I see why it could have been taken that way on my post. I literally added it when I was talking about the inverter itself. Edited it so that protocol on battery is where I was talking about battery info.

Changed to lux and lux on CAN and RS485 on battery. No joy. Changed to Luxpower on inverter and also no coms. Tried another known good data cable on both CAN and RS485 and no coms.
Talked to a nice lady at current connected and she said I need to update firmware. Unfortunately they didn't ship my unit with one so she said she'd get back to me. No call back so I called this afternoon and she said she was waiting on a response from EG4. No ETA on a response. I did download the battery software but it is totally different than what's shown in the manual and it will not talk to my computer through a network cable. At this point I have a $3000 paperweight until they ship me a USB cable, unless someone can tell me how to wire one up.
Thanks to everyone for the ideas and open to any other options.

Attachments

• 17017448470694581505666803627105.jpg
    17017448470694581505666803627105.jpg
    788 KB · Views: 30
  • 17017448711824087041764691296645.jpg
    17017448711824087041764691296645.jpg
    816.8 KB · Views: 28
Changed to lux and lux on CAN and RS485 on battery. No joy. Changed to Luxpower on inverter and also no coms. Tried another known good data cable on both CAN and RS485 and no coms.
Talked to a nice lady at current connected and she said I need to update firmware. Unfortunately they didn't ship my unit with one so she said she'd get back to me. No call back so I called this afternoon and she said she was waiting on a response from EG4. No ETA on a response. I did download the battery software but it is totally different than what's shown in the manual and it will not talk to my computer through a network cable. At this point I have a $3000 paperweight until they ship me a USB cable, unless someone can tell me how to wire one up.
Just run in lead until you get it figured out.

I just had the same issue last week; I needed to update the firmware on the LL V2 battery using the file EG4® LL V2 51.2v 100ah firmware.zip from the website that was under the EG4®-LL | 48V 100AH Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery section on page three of the eg4electronics downloads page. I had to use a Windows PC and the BMS TOOLS V1.0.zip from the same place. https://eg4electronics.com/resources/downloads?page=3. Follow the instructions for upgrading a battery; they are not simple but doable. Set the battery to ID 0 (switches all up on LL) for the upgrade. The EG4 customer service was not very informed about this problem. I just got lucky trying it, but it was immediately recognized by the 6000XP when it was all rebooted, and it has been doing great for the past four days.
Good luck!

TXGUY, was this done with a USB cable and if so was there any settings you needed to change in Windows to get it to recognize the battery?

TXGUY, was this done with a USB cable and if so was there any settings you needed to change in Windows to get it to recognize the battery?
I used the USB cable that came with the LL battery going from the PC USB out to the LL battery RS45 port, with no other cables plugged into the battery (I even disconnected the power cables going to the 6000XP). The trick for Windows to find the COM port was having the battery ID set to zero. Once I figured that out, the software saw it immediately. Also, a side note: the instructions on the EG4 README file say it is a 2-part upgrade, but for the LL V2 6-dipswitch unit, I only had to do the first upgrade and ignored the second part that had something to do with HEX numbers?!?! good luck.

Still no luck with current connected getting back to me about the cable. Called again today for any info and was told I would get an email today with an update either way. I'm guessing that's not happening since it's 8pm their time. I ordered a chargeverter from signature solar today so I can at least charge my battery. I'll give them a call and see if they can help me out with the cable.

LOL, I can't even start to tell you how many things I do not know or even consider as a newbie to this DIY stuff; this forum and YouTube are a great help to inform the uninformed like me. I appreciate the sharing and mistakes others have made in order to help me; like Isaac Newton said, “If I have seen further, it is only by standing on the shoulders of Giants”. When you see the solar system using free sunshine from 3 days ago to actually heat your family this frosty morning, it's very satisfying, and my wife is certainly happy I have not burned the house down yet as I blunder my way through it all. Cheers and Merry Christmas.

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 9.51.34 AM.jpg

I used the USB cable that came with the LL battery going from the PC USB out to the LL battery RS45 port, with no other cables plugged into the battery (I even disconnected the power cables going to the 6000XP). The trick for Windows to find the COM port was having the battery ID set to zero. Once I figured that out, the software saw it immediately. Also, a side note: the instructions on the EG4 README file say it is a 2-part upgrade, but for the LL V2 6-dipswitch unit, I only had to do the first upgrade and ignored the second part that had something to do with HEX numbers?!?! good luck.
Yeah I tried the second part with no luck no matter what I have tried. Also, changing the RS485 or CAN protocols doesn't seem to work on any of my three batteries - I can bring up the menu and choose different protocols but when I go back to the menu it doesn't appear to actually have changed. Fortunately the CAN protocol is already on LUX and the closed loop coms are working with the 6000xp so I guess I won't worry about it ;)

If it were me, I would default everything to factory, shut everything down, get the cable from eg4 and start over. That EG4 cable has a chip in the USB end, it isnt just a "straight", plain jane cable.

Looking at the photo here, your dip switches are wrong. They are still set to MASTER and not 01. Make sure that you have the first one pushed to the left (if you are looking at it from the face of the battery.)

Thanks everyone. I called back current connected and tried a different menu number besides technical support and left a short detailed message. Got a call back from the tech support lady and they are shipping a cable out Monday. Will post once the firmware is updated?. I'm using this setup as a test so if all goes well I will look at a larger system for my house.

I did not get communication from my lifepower batteries to my 6000xp. Doing the firmware update for the batteries using the eg4 cable and a laptop did the trick and it all worked. Lithium battery 0 confirmed. Btw, if you have multiple batteries do firmware on all of them separately. I didn’t update the firmware to the inverter because I don’t want to screw stuff up. If it working don’t mess with it lol

I have the same problem! Received the 6000xp and began upgrading from a 3000ex. I have 2 EG4 LL v2.
Cable connected to Battery 1 CAN set to ID 1 (top to the left all others to the right) , Battery 2 set to ID 2 (#2 to the left all others to the right). Batteries were cycled - BMS and the off disconnect - Not communication!

Uploaded the battery firmware with

EG4®-LL-48V-100A- Firmware.zip​

following all steps in document using the RS485 updater.
Both batteries showed successful.
No Communication!

Please expound on the protocol on the battery.

Batteries were communicating yesterday with the 3000ex.

I have the same problem! Received the 6000xp and began upgrading from a 3000ex. I have 2 EG4 LL v2.
Cable connected to Battery 1 CAN set to ID 1 (top to the left all others to the right) , Battery 2 set to ID 2 (#2 to the left all others to the right). Batteries were cycled - BMS and the off disconnect - Not communication!

No Communication!

Be sure the battery CAN protocol is set to Lux and the inverter set to lithium battery type 0 (eg4). That’s working fine for me anyway. And be sure you’re not confusing the two cables that come with the inverter.

No Communication!

I just did this over the weekend. Updated 3 batteries to the latest firmware, set dip switches to 1, 2, 3 batteries are set to EG4 and inverter is set to EG4. Everything is working. Make sure you use the Orange cable (at least that was the color my inverter came with)

Back