diy solar

diy solar

6500EX-48 idle consumption

lmpsr

Here's more data to add to the idle consumption debate on this inverter. My 6500 is only a couple weeks old and has firmware ver. 79.63, and the battery is one LifePower4. I am using the USER battery setting because with BMS comms enabled, I get a F69 error. I think this is because one cell or bank of cells is overvoltage. I am using the default settings in USER mode, as recommended by Signature support. My usage is mainly as home backup........ My idle consumption with just the battery connected is ~110W with the inverter output enabled, and 29W with it disabled (control panel and fans mostly, I guess). With just AC input, the idle consumption is 130W with the inverter output enabled, and 120W with the inverter output disabled. With both battery and AC inputs, the total idle consumption is ~140W, and disabling the inverter output doesn't have much effect. With both battery and AC connected, it hunts around a bit, which appears to be because of the float charge. Keep in mind that my AC power monitor and DC power monitor are different devices, with different resolution and probably different accuracy, but this is what I read. What concerns me is the high consumption when using it as utility backup....... Are there any settings / mode which reduces the consumption? ....... Is there a power saver mode like some inverters have where the unit can periodically check for loss of utility power and then start up in full? All my critical devices have a UPS, so I don't need instantaneous switchover. If not, could such a mode be incorporated into a future firmware release?

No it will consume what it consumes. If you are so concerned with idle consumption, why did you not go with something better than EG4? Second....why do you need backup power? A generator would've been a better alternative unless you are losing power every few days, which I have never heard of.

Is it reasonable to assume that the delta between grid and load here is the idle consumption of my 6500ex, as reported by SA?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230328_225046_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230328_225046_Chrome.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 19
Is it reasonable to assume that the delta between grid and load here is the idle consumption of my 6500ex, as reported by SA?
Did you program your idle consumption info SA? That’s the only way it’s aware of what the idle consumption is when your running in grid mode.

Did you program your idle consumption info SA? That’s the only way it’s aware of what the idle consumption is when your running in grid mode.
Ahh, I may have when I set it up. When in solar mode would that same differential between pv in and grid out more accurately describe overhead?

Ahh, I may have when I set it up. When in solar mode would that same differential between pv in and grid out more accurately describe overhead?
I don’t think so. Your gonna always have losses that need to be taken into account. You’ll need to see what your inverters draw when they’re powered on but have no loads or pv. You’ll need to either use a shunt or clamp meter to measure the current draw from the batteries. Once you have that number, in SA go to the config tab and click the Advanced button under battery and enter in your idle consumption.

Wow that is way higher than my SP6548's that idle around 60 watts with no AC or PV input, they are just running as a split phase pair. They do run the fans continuously even with no load.

Wow that is way higher than my SP6548's that idle around 60 watts with no AC or PV input, they are just running as a split phase pair. They do run the fans continuously even with no load.
I just got the sp6548 and you are correct the fan always runs with so solar or no draw. I contacted sun power gold and they said it should idle down. Has your idled down? Or did you figure out a way to stop the fan when it cool and idling?

If any variant of the 6500 is pulling over 100w at idle, there is something wrong. Spec for most is in the 60-80w range.

But please verify this with a clamp meter or a shunt, do NOT rely on the inverter or Solar Assistant to guess.

My MPP 6548’s seems to draw 45 watts each from the grid regardless of mode. I see this as just a cost of doing business and not worry about. It’s only a buck or two a month during peak the utilities actually get from me lol. Small price to pay for having ready backup and augmented power.

My MPP 6548’s seems to draw 45 watts each from the grid regardless of mode. I see this as just a cost of doing business and not worry about. It’s only a buck or two a month during peak the utilities actually get from me lol. Small price to pay for having ready backup and augmented power.
The MPP units are known for much better idle consumption. The EG4 models for some reason double the idle consumption.

The MPP units are known for much better idle consumption. The EG4 models for some reason double the idle consumption.
Yeah I’ve seen that. It’s must have something to do with the higher PV section and/or parts substitution/shortages (COVID?) who the heck knows?

That's similar to what my EG4 6500 are doing right now in SBU mode, no solar, and with grid power as measured by the emporia Vue:
Screenshot_20230805-185124~2.png

The Multiplus actually has a relay that disconnects the AC In when it’s not being used (assuming you have it configured properly).

Are you sure? I’m battery mode my meter stops? I have a digital meter on my home and if I’m battery mode it pulls everything from the battery and PV . What’s odd is when it’s in Line or grid mode it pulls idle from battery but also uses about 70 watts total for 2 inverters from the grid to I suppose stay in synch.

Check again at night. It’s probably using PV in daytime when it can and goes to grid during the night

Back