diy solar

diy solar

92kW Lead-acid battery bank. Does it need equalising?

Great, I think what you have just indicated is what I saw today. What may have also happened is that the meter may have misaligned over the last few charges and that the 100% SOC might not have been reflected in the reality of the bank charge.
I daren't tell you the 'Junk tek' model of monitor I have, otherwise you would think me a real cheapskate.

Great, I think what you have just indicated is what I saw today. What may have also happened is that the meter may have misaligned over the last few charges and that the 100% SOC might not have been reflected in the reality of the bank charge.
I daren't tell you the 'Junk tek' model of monitor I have, otherwise you would think me a real cheapskate.

Sounds like it.

Junctek is pretty common. They're not too bad. I have a couple different models. They're just not particularly smart.

When you see the SoC @ 100% AND you know the battery is in float you can be confident the monitor will be pretty accurate on the discharge portion and only a little accurate on the re-charge UNTIL it's in float.

If you want the best possible battery monitor for lead acid, get either a Victron Smartshunt or a BMV-712 (same as smart shunt +external display, +control relay and better bluetooth range). They actually know how to handle the nuances of lead-acid, and they are fully configurable to make them as accurate as possible. If you get a temperature sensor with either, they can also account for efficiency variations due to temperature for even better accuracy.

Thanks for those replies eggo.
With all that info I feel much more confident now to know what I'm looking at re. charging, depletion and the idiosyncracies of the Juncktek.
Cheers,
Al

Back