diy solar

diy solar

Advice for auto backup generator connection

Denny

If this is a redundant question I apologize in advance, note I have been known as a redundant before...

Here's my idea:

After watching videos it looks like the all in one mpp unit makes sense for me. I am designing for three small cabins, family group moving to the country, grow food, raise animals yadda, yadda, yadda... Capability for shop tools but no full time loads. Cabins reasonably closely located so one system or four?

I am thinking a single off grid 48v system if I learned anything from the videos. Determine final loads needed and understood. I purchased a used 4K Onan RV genset awhile back, resting in my garage. For backup if a) heavy power use (shop tools) or b) extended low solar production so the question becomes, is it a simple operation to cause the mpp transfer switch to auto-start/stop the genset? Or will other components be needed?

If I learned anything from the (well done) videos it looks as though I could start with the all in one and a lithium battery pack charged by the genset and add the panels as I accumulate them. With cost of panels likely put all together first but this does seem an option.

Thoughts?

Back