diy solar

diy solar

AFTER A SUCCESSFUL career in acting ..

I loved her in 80... just back from Iran, and she was on tv! between karp and battlestar... my schedule was full... and we had a VCR at home and I could record em and watch over and over...

Anybody old enough to remember bragging at school about having a VCR?
BETA all the way!

Or tube radios and B&W TV...

What about a valve (tube) based TV? My family had a HMV b&w valve set. TV broadcasts here started just in time for the moon landing so a TV was purchased.

What about a valve (tube) based TV? My family had a HMV b&w valve set. TV broadcasts here started just in time for the moon landing so a TV was purchased.
Interesting Gnu, the CRT, Cathode Ray Tube, I guess would be referred to as a CRV by persons that refer to tubes as valves. TV's became a fixture of US society during the 1950's and it's interesting that they didn't come around in your neck of the woods until approximately ten years later. Wots, "HMV"?

HMV, His Masters Voice. My city was the last large coastal city in Queensland to get TV.

We had two of these one at a friends house in the states to record shows and mail them to us in Iran... and one to play them... same timer on top as well...
If only I had known that operating the beta max was so easy I would have spent much more of my life spectating!

Big living room cabinet tv, with the clicker... NOT A REMOTE CONTROL... it had two buttons... click for on/off, and one for channel switch... volume had to be adjusted at the set...
Tres simple indeed SVT! I used to use a remote that had only one, spring loaded slide button. When you slid the button ahead with your thumb, the spring loaded and then disengaged banging together two, metal, tuning rods inside of the remote, thus, using an audible tone to change the channel! I think it was an RCA and I think that whistling at the right frequency could also change the channel!

Or tube radios and B&W TV...
I'm from the transistor generation though there were still plenty of receivers and amps around with tube finals. In those days Pioneer used to build a high quality receiver with tube finals; had more chrome and steel than a Buick and you could toast bread and heat up soup on it!

HMV, His Masters Voice. My city was the last large coastal city in Queensland to get TV.
Ok, I giggled His Masters Voice and didn't really come up with anything much, is HMV a record label, a dog, a TV show a television station??!!

Think of it as a very thick vhs tape, with only 30 minutes of tape playback...
If you remember the classroom Highway movies...
Those Highway movies were on 16mm film and projector when I saw them...lol.
The only video tape machines back then were freezer chest sized units used by the networks.

I'm from the transistor generation though there were still plenty of receivers and amps around with tube finals. In those days Pioneer used to build a high quality receiver with tube finals; had more chrome and steel than a Buick and you could toast bread and heat up soup on it!
For a long while after transistorized sets came out, tubes were still used in the high voltage and power sections of the TV set as adequate semiconductor devices didn't yet exist. One of the last holdouts was the flyback tube. It ran the horizontal oscillator for the TV scanning deflection coils, and also fed a flyback transformer that generated the high voltage needed for the picture tube (about 25.000 volts on a big picture tube).

I was born in the modern era of wired remotes.

Growing up in the sixties my ole man had four different remotes.
Me and my three other siblings.
It operated with a shoe.
When he wanted a channel change or volume control and we were hypnotically transfixed on the wondrous magical box, a shoe always got our attention. LOL ?
No batteries required.

I also remember over at a cousins house he used different tuning forks that changed Channel’s and did the volume on his tv. He’d just tap one on a beer can and tada ! The tv responded.
Weird ?

Last edited:
Back