diy solar

diy solar

AIMS Solar Charge Controller - DC LOAD Connection

TedH

My AIMS SCC60-100A has three connections at bottom in addition to the Network and Battery Temp Sensor:
  • Solar Pv +/-
  • Battery +/-
  • DC Load +/-
Currently, my AIMS Inverter/Charger is wired to the Bus batteries directly using 4 gauge wires with an in-line fuse. As I install the solar system to serve the 'House', I will be adding a manual switch to select DC from the Bus battery/alternator (245DC amps) or the Solar Charge Controller/Lifepo4 batteries.

In many videos I have watched, the Inverter is wired to a 4-way BUS Bar that the solar charge controller and battery bank also connect to.

So, as mentioned in the opening, the SCC has Solar, Battery and DC Load connections. The 'DC Load' connection rated at up to 60amps DC.

My question: Is this SCC DC Load connection intended to wire to the Inverter INSTEAD of connecting the inverter to the 4-way BUS bar? Is it intended instead for a secondary DC Load source such as a converter to power 12volt systems in the House? Sadly, the AIMS Installation/Operator manual provides no info beyond 'connect DC load +/-...'. While considering this, I realized that I may need to draw A LOT more than 60amps into the Inverter. I am using a 200amp in-line fuse between Inverter and the 4-way Bus Bar. At this time, it is my assumption the DC Load connection is intended for use with a 60amp DC converter to power 12volt DC systems.

My AIMS SCC60-100A has three connections at bottom in addition to the Network and Battery Temp Sensor:
  • Solar Pv +/-
  • Battery +/-
  • DC Load +/-
Currently, my AIMS Inverter/Charger is wired to the Bus batteries directly using 4 gauge wires with an in-line fuse. As I install the solar system to serve the 'House', I will be adding a manual switch to select DC from the Bus battery/alternator (245DC amps) or the Solar Charge Controller/Lifepo4 batteries.

In many videos I have watched, the Inverter is wired to a 4-way BUS Bar that the solar charge controller and battery bank also connect to.

So, as mentioned in the opening, the SCC has Solar, Battery and DC Load connections. The 'DC Load' connection rated at up to 60amps DC.

My question: (1)Is this SCC DC Load connection intended to wire to the Inverter INSTEAD of connecting the inverter to the 4-way BUS bar? (2)Is it intended instead for a secondary DC Load source such as a converter to power 12volt systems in the House? Sadly, the AIMS Installation/Operator manual provides no info beyond 'connect DC load +/-...'. While considering this, I realized that I may need to draw A LOT more than 60amps into the Inverter. I am using a 200amp in-line fuse between Inverter and the 4-way Bus Bar. (3)At this time, it is my assumption the DC Load connection is intended for use with a 60amp DC converter to power 12volt DC systems.

(1) Never
(2) Yep. SCC may monitor/report/log data on the load port, but that varies from brand to brand.
(3) winner winner chicken dinner

(1) Never
(2) Yep. SCC may monitor/report/log data on the load port, but that varies from brand to brand.
(3) winner winner chicken dinner
Wondering similar things here so gonna see if I can hop in here and get clarification...

HOW do you wire that? I also have the AIMS SCC and want to wire my 60amp stepdown.

Can I put the input side on the main bus bar with the batteries, inverter/charger and solar charge controller and then the out put on a small bus bar with the SCC DC + load wire coming out and then feed one (which one?!?!?) up to my fuse box?

Back