diy solar

diy solar

All in one 48V System 3000 Watts

heimlich

I was going to build the Victron system and then saw a video with an EG4 3000W EHV. I thought I found the perfect solution. Then I searched on this forum and that inverter needs at least 120V from a solar array. I doubt I can get to 120V array. I might have 2 to 4 solar panels. I would also like to be able to tie in a small generator and possibly a separate alternator for charging. Is there an all-in-one system that would be suitable for this? The appeal is the low cost of the 3000W EHV of $700 vs the Victron inverter alone being over $1,000.

I've taken a different approach. I bought a diesel generator. Now what I need is a system that can charge the battery and deliver 120V and 12V. Victron is too luxurious for me.

I liked the idea of the battery communications but it looks nice it's just another luxury as well. I'm glad you mentioned MPP. They have always been on top of my list.

While there is much talk of AIOs not being up to he job, in searching for good case studies, I just do not come up with much in terms of failures. The ones I have read are worded such that I don't trust them. No argument that Victron makes solid stuff... none at all. *IF* I had unlimited funds, I would certainly consider it...

Instead of jumping all over AIOs saying how much better Victron is, and potentially how stupid an all in one user is, let us see the real case study(s) .

Has Will killed any of his during the abuse he has put them through??

I'm currently running an MPP 3048LV-MK. It would be nice to have battery coms, but... I don't find it necessary, yet. The voltage input on the pv suites my needs better than the EG4, and, it's less expensive. So far, it's been working very well with only two of my four panels installed and I'm going to even be using another one to parallel together to run 240V split phase for the minisplit that I've decided on. On its own, it's more compact than the EG4, though, the connections on the EG4 are better laid out, and you do get better communications with the EG4.

I asked MPPSolar what they suggest. Their suggestion was the LV 6048 https://maximumsolar.online/product/lv-6048/
Is there a better one from MPP Solar? I'll be plugging a generator into it to charge the batteries.
It would be nice to have a few solar panels on the side as well to plug into it.

I see you have done this with the 3048LV-MK.

I use an MPP Solar 3048LV (48v battery / 3000w inverter) with 1200w (2s2p) of solar panels for my camp trailer - https://shopsolarkits.com/products/...-145vdc-battery-charger-60a-3048lv-mk-3kw-48v

It's in year 3 of operation and about 8,000miles of travel (bumps and all) and works well. We use camp ground AC sometimes and generator (pure sine wave) AC sometimes and it has built-in UPS so that with battery priority so I can just plug in AC or not and but continues to deliver AC without interruption. You can choose the amount of power diverted to charging the batteries.

Not pushing it, but the price is not bad and it's been working A-OK for me.

Last edited:
Will it accept the full 50 amp service? (Mpp 6048)
Yes, you can plug it into a 50a (US 240v/120v split phase) service /receptacle and get up to 6000w of power. However, 6000w / 240v = 25a. You'd need 12,000w of inverting to use the full 50a @ 240v. You'd have to parallel 2 of these MPP Solar 6000w units - which you can do - to get 12,000w.

Last edited:
We are using a clone MPP, Vevor 24v 3000w, I decided against using the built in MPPT (due to no low temp cutoff on my battery, winter temps can sit well below 4c for a while) instead I used a Victron 100/15 (Victron Battery sense for the low temp cutoff) and 4x100w panels in 2s2p gives well above the required 5+ volts early in the day to kick off charging, and with a 100ah battery we can do 2 days fully off grid with no solar, to note we have an 800w water heater, induction job 1000w and a 1500w air fryer, all running on 240v, no gas. Fridge runs on 24v, worst I ever get to in 24 hours is about 50% SOC with no solar. I've yet to fit a B2B patiently waiting on Victron making a 12/24v XS, I'd like to be able to connect up a Cerbo if we go all in over time 🤣

I've run this close on the limit of 2500w for multiple hours cooking and had no issues, the van is used nearly every weekend and 2 weeks touring Scotland and the isle of Skye last year with zero issues!

All in the cost was about £1000 (inverter, battery, solar, MPPT, cables, and other bits needed) and it's lasted us 18 months, it's a campervan and also used as a part time daily driver, about 10,000 miles in that period.

Other than the high idle usage of the Vevor it's been flawless, I took it apart it a bit and extended and swapped the on/off switch into the van so I can turn it on/off much more easily.

I use the hook up at my house to prechill the fridge and heat a tank of water occasionally in winter to reduce the load on the battery but that's more about me enjoying using the van than a necessity.

If it's a really sunny day I'll heat the water in the afternoon knowing the solar will put that all back in a couple of hours, a very crude solar dump.

Only thing I've never done is try to run all the electrics off the hook up at the same time, battery has 100amp BMS so I know I can't run all the major drains at the same time, and I've no real need to do that either.

In conclusion my cheap stuff works as well so far as the more expensive victron stuff, I really like the ease of use of the victron bits we have and will add those I think add value over time, B2B being the next addition, although for what we use the van for it's not really necessary. A Cerbo would be a nice addition, but only if we add a multiplus!

I'd love a multiplus but the 24v ones are pricey compared to the 48v kit here in the UK about £400 more expensive, my main concern is the inverting and mains charge/pass through I've no room for more solar and no requirement for A/C.

Back