diy solar

diy solar

Am I damaging my 1000w pure sine inverter by "pushing" it to 1100w for short periods?

PaulF

The Bluetti eb150 power station (or solar generator or what ever you want to call it) has a 1000w pure sine inverter that cuts off after 2 minutes of running my 700w microwave (the power consumption is at 1100w.) And that OK with me because one minute and 50 seconds will heat up a mug of coffee and that's all I want (I'm building a solar powered camper with 300w of solar panels). But, will I do damage to the inverter if I keep "pushing" it every morning for my cup of coffee? What about lasagna? Frozen lasagna takes 6 minutes to cook, will I do the inverter harm if I run it three times for one minute and 50 seconds in quick succession? I've already done this several times and it works fine, but am I doing any long-term damage to my inverter? What do you think? thanks.

Safeties exist to minimize damage. Every time they trip you exercise those systems and risk damaging those components and those they are designed to protect.

Get a 1kW inverter microwave that will actually run at lower power. Cook everything at 40-50% power, and you'll never pull more than 800-900W. Yes, things will take longer to cook, but they will be more evenly heated, and it won't hammer your inverter.

Their prices have come down to only a little above standard microwaves.

I've run a 1000w microwave, it's the same as a 900w and 700w I tried. They all have power consumption over 1000w. When I set the power at anything less that 100% power the microwave just cycles on and off (at the same power level). Sometimes when the power comes on the microwave's timer cuts out for a split second so it shuts off the microwave. So I run it at 100% power.

I've searched the internet and found a micro that is 320w that consumes 900w but it's 24v. There is a 12v Wave Box that cost $300 it is 660w but I can't find the specs for its power consumption. The Wave Box is no longer carried at Walmart, Cabela's and on Amazon because of the complaints and bad reviews. (12v microwaves were introduced in 2008 and have flopped. Only Wave Box remains in the market.)

My $50 700w microwave actually draws 1070 watts, am I really doing the 1000w inverter harm? (It's rated to 1200w) I run it less than two minutes and turn it off before the inverter trips off. I really want that solar powered cup of coffee each morning. (and my brand new Bluetti has a one year warranty). wadda ya think? thanks

You're not listening.

" Get a 1kW inverter microwave that will actually run at lower power "

INVERTER MICROWAVES run at lower power instead of 100% for 50% and off for 50%.

I have this one:

At 50% power, it will only pull 700-800W.

You asking again because I didn't give you the answer you want isn't going to make me change my answer. You're abusing the unit. Just because it's still under warranty isn't a factor. Do you want it to last longer than the warranty? Don't abuse it.

$150 and you have a sustainable solution and an arguably better microwave.

LOL... it's okay if you're being sarcastic after the other thread. I really think that's the best option for you... healthy inverter and a better microwave... You might have to wait a little longer for your solar brew, but it might be a little less bitter. :)

Back